Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spreadsheet data in Table of Contents

I am working on a Pages document (I have both a Pages '09 and Pages 5 version) and am having a difficult time with creating my TOC. I have multiple tables in the document and would like the Table Name to show up in the TOC, the catch is that I want name to be part of the spreadsheet so that if I or someone else wanted to move the table within the document the title would essentially be a part of the object as it moved. I have tried creating a header row with the text formatted in one of the styles in the TOC, tried putting the formatted text in a regular cell, and attempted to create a text box which was grouped with the table but none of them showed up in the TOC. Any help would be wonderful.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 9:38 AM

Elaine,

Any text not in the standard Text Layer will not be accessible to the TOC generator. That exclusion applies to tables, text boxes and the like.

Jerry

2 replies

Apr 10, 2014 10:02 AM in response to elaine154

Make the Table inline in the Text in its own paragraph. Give it an "Object" Paragraph Style to control Before and After spacing.

Insert the Table name in the Table but repeat it in a paragraph just below and give that a "Caption" Paragraph Style, then include "Caption" in your T.O.C.

When you move the table, select the Table and Caption by dragging over them as you would for text, and Cut/Paste it elsewhere.

Peter

Spreadsheet data in Table of Contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.