Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modes/Names of mobile internet speed/connectivity (LTE, 3g, 2g, o, etc.)

Depending on my location I see a different name (of how shall I call it?) of my mobile internet speed/connectivity in the bar on top of my iPhone. Most of the times it's 3g, but now the 4g network is increasing, so in more and more locations I'm seeing LTE. I know LTE means 4g, but how about the other modes? When I'm far away from any cities I see some kind of blue circle. Is this 2g or even slower (1g? Does that exist?)

Just out of interest I want to ask: What are the modes the iPhone supports and how does the iPhone display these modes in the bar on top of the iPhone? It doesn't just say 4g, 3g, 2g. I can't remember if I've ever seen 2g in the bar on top of my iPhone, but it seems like 3g is the only speed that's actually called 3g on the iPhone. What's the complete list?

LTE = 4g

3g = 3g

Blue circle = 2g?

Speeds slower than 2g?

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 10:47 AM

A lot of this depends on where you are and the cell provider you are connected to.

The circle or dot is GPRS and is 2G.

An E is EDGE and was sometimes referred to as 2 and a half G.

A 3G is just that, 3G.

T-Mobile, AT&T and some of their MVNO's and subsidiaries in the US will show 4G which is really not, it is HSPA+ but through marketing and arm-twisting got it accepted as such.

LTE is the latest technology at use and is defined as 4G although some sticklers do not accept it in its current basic mode as such.

That covers all the possible displays on the iPhone.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2014 10:47 AM in response to robbertvdd

A lot of this depends on where you are and the cell provider you are connected to.

The circle or dot is GPRS and is 2G.

An E is EDGE and was sometimes referred to as 2 and a half G.

A 3G is just that, 3G.

T-Mobile, AT&T and some of their MVNO's and subsidiaries in the US will show 4G which is really not, it is HSPA+ but through marketing and arm-twisting got it accepted as such.

LTE is the latest technology at use and is defined as 4G although some sticklers do not accept it in its current basic mode as such.

That covers all the possible displays on the iPhone.

Apr 10, 2014 10:55 AM in response to robbertvdd

Depending on your model of iPhone will depend on what connections it supports.

Also, what iOS version do you have?

There are two different cellular standards:

At&t/T-mobile = GSM

Verizon/Sprint = CDMA

Connection type as displayed on the phone from fastest to slowest.

GSM Model

LTE 30mbps

4G= HSPA+ (HSDPA) ~15mbps

3G = (UTMS) 10mbps

E = Edge (2G) .10mbps

Blue Circle = GPRS (first gen data network) 35kbps

CDMA Model

LTE 30mbps

3G (EVDO) 3mbps

Blue circle is 1X (first gen data network CDMA) 50kbps

Modes/Names of mobile internet speed/connectivity (LTE, 3g, 2g, o, etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.