Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing memory cards in late 2009 27" iMac

I have never installed memory cards before, but the instructions make it look easy. The problem is, I cannot "pull the tab to eject the installed memory modules." They (there are two of them) won't come out. Now, it might be that they're made of some super strong material that I have never seen before, but they seem to me like ordinary plastic film that will tear if I pull too hard. Then I would have to take my computer to the shop. What do I do now?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 11:31 AM

8 replies

Apr 10, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Niku

It takes strenghth and persistence to get those tabs to budge sometimes. Use both hands and grip the tabs with each hand and pull firmly. You may need another person to hold onto the machine or someone stronger than you. Do not yank, pull firmly and keep at it. If you still can't budge it then take the computer to your local AASP and they can get it loose, they shouldn't charge to do it.

Apr 10, 2014 11:47 AM in response to Niku

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been sitting here waiting for some advice. I'll take your advice--to a point. I'm definitely stong emnough, but n is the plastic/vinyl? That's the question. It does seem to me that its rip-prone.

By the way, I was surprised by the amount of fine dust that was under the memory access door. Is that normal?

Apr 10, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Niku

If you continue to have difficulty and still don't want to take it in (you must live in the middle of nowhere) usually an AASP can be found in most suburban areas within 30-40 minutes of ones location.What you can try is to wrap some electrial tape over the ends of some small pliers and grip the RAM and pull with the pliers however you MUST be extremely careful as you could damage the DIMMs!!!!!

Apr 10, 2014 12:35 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I can't find your last rely here, the one about pliars, but I'll consider it. The difficulty in taking my iMac to an Apple store is simply that I don't have a car, and taking this jumbo set on an hour plus trip by buses requiring multiple transfers is not something I am willing to try. I'd probably end up dropping it somewhere. It is heavy, and it is awkward to carry. Definitely not a fun trip. I do appreciate your thoughts, though.

NOW your pliar memo appears.

Apr 10, 2014 5:07 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Okay, I've done it. Thanks to your help, I FINALLY managed to install the two new memory cards. Was it worthwhile? I don't know yet, but I can't see any difference. I doubled my memory by increasing it from 4 to 8GBs, so you would expect to see some differences, but I don't see any so far. Maybe I will in time. In the meantime, I am really glad that I didn't try to "keep up with the Joneses" by paying $300+ to get the maximum memory of 28 GB. My additional 4GB cost about $50. That's quite reasonable for an experiment. $300 is not.

For people who have not installed memory cards and came here for support and information, I can say that their installation is easy, IF you can remove cards that need to be replaced, and IF you can get the new cards properly seated. I finally managed to do both, but it wasn't easy. I even called the company from whom I purchased the cards because I thought that I had received bad cards. I thought that because when I turned on the computer I only got intermittant beeps, so I thought that I would have to replace the new cards. That problem was fixed when I reseated the new cards. Finally, the new cards don't look the same as the cards already in the machine. I was worried about that, but the person I talked to said that different company's cards have different apearances. I guess she was right, because I'm typing this.

Installing memory cards in late 2009 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.