Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! I think I may have a virus.

In the past few weeks, I've noticed some weird happenings and wonder if I have a virus or if this pro (2010) is ready to give up the ghost? Applications automatically launch, music plays randomly, when it hit command + T to open up a new window there is hesitation and the screen is blurred, when I leave the computer up for a long period of time while not using it, downloaded podcasts appear in multiple squares across the entire screen. I was informed that anti-virus software does more harm than good so I've never had any.

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 11:46 AM

2 replies

Apr 10, 2014 12:13 PM in response to NattyNattie

I'm not sure what's going on there, but those aren't the signs of any known malware. Anti-virus software isn't going to help.

If you start up in safe mode, does the problem go away, or does it persist? What if you create a new user (in System Preferences -> Users & Groups), and then log out and log in as that user? Does the problem go away, or does it persist?

Help! I think I may have a virus.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.