Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Client created spreads as PSDs, wants me to add interactivity

I'm experienced with creating Multi-Touch iBooks, but have never been asked to do this before. Does anyone know if it's possible:

Client has created elaborate "spreads" in Photoshop at 2048x1536. Spreads consist of background images, text, images, even folios. She wants me to place these into iBooks Author, then make some of the images tappable to fullscreen with captions (she has supplied the images and captions separately). With some of the images, she wants the tap to go to fullscreen video (she has supplied the video separately).

This is an odd way to work, but I'm not even sure it's possible. The layouts are complex, so I can't place the video widget on top of the image from the PSD because it would obscure other parts of the layout.

I hope I explained this so it makes sense. Sound possible?

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 3:35 PM

The only answer in my mind - is whatever is produced, iBooks Author requires images to be within a given size.

2048x1536. is thd iPad screen size and although I myself use this for the majority of any images I add to books. This size is teh screenshot size, IF the screen shot is produced by screen grabs from the iPad, but the iBA page size is 2048 x 1496.

Captions can be added in a text box and placed where you have space in your layout.

This is mainly the reason I use 2048 x 1536 - which is bihgger than page size.. but if reduced to fit on the page - it leaves a border which can be mximised top or bottom depending on how you choose.

Apple suggest its not wise to add text to an image ( in a photo editor) as it "bloats" the file size.

Use the iBA Help files - Graphics and Media.

Video's ? You can use the Intoroduction which gives a "post box" view of the widescreen video format.

The Media widget can be adjusted - so you have to do some tests.

Adobe PSD is fine for Graphic artist, layour designers and printed material, not accepted in iBooks Author.

Again, in teh Help Files:

supported file formats

You can add these kinds of digital files to an iBooks Author document:

• Image files: JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIFNote: The recommended file format is JPG. If the image includes transparency, PNG is recommended.
  • Video and audio files: M4V, M4ANote: For the Media widget, you can add a video file or an audio file (in a format QuickTime supports) to your book. You can convert other types of files using iMovie, QuickTime Player, or Compressor. For the HTML widget, the suggested file formats are MP4 video files and M4A audio files.
  • Document files: PDF

Try to fit her work is a test book before you start worl in ernest and customising the layout.

I suggest you do a copy and paste of the media requirements for iBA and ask that all files comply!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2014 3:35 PM in response to tpub

The only answer in my mind - is whatever is produced, iBooks Author requires images to be within a given size.

2048x1536. is thd iPad screen size and although I myself use this for the majority of any images I add to books. This size is teh screenshot size, IF the screen shot is produced by screen grabs from the iPad, but the iBA page size is 2048 x 1496.

Captions can be added in a text box and placed where you have space in your layout.

This is mainly the reason I use 2048 x 1536 - which is bihgger than page size.. but if reduced to fit on the page - it leaves a border which can be mximised top or bottom depending on how you choose.

Apple suggest its not wise to add text to an image ( in a photo editor) as it "bloats" the file size.

Use the iBA Help files - Graphics and Media.

Video's ? You can use the Intoroduction which gives a "post box" view of the widescreen video format.

The Media widget can be adjusted - so you have to do some tests.

Adobe PSD is fine for Graphic artist, layour designers and printed material, not accepted in iBooks Author.

Again, in teh Help Files:

supported file formats

You can add these kinds of digital files to an iBooks Author document:

• Image files: JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIFNote: The recommended file format is JPG. If the image includes transparency, PNG is recommended.
  • Video and audio files: M4V, M4ANote: For the Media widget, you can add a video file or an audio file (in a format QuickTime supports) to your book. You can convert other types of files using iMovie, QuickTime Player, or Compressor. For the HTML widget, the suggested file formats are MP4 video files and M4A audio files.
  • Document files: PDF

Try to fit her work is a test book before you start worl in ernest and customising the layout.

I suggest you do a copy and paste of the media requirements for iBA and ask that all files comply!

Apr 16, 2014 4:20 AM in response to tpub

It's possible, but its a really wonky way of working.

The text of the book is the big issue for me. If your client wants it searchable, and if you want an automated TOC, etc. The text needs to exist in IBA, not part of an image. It might not even pass Apple's iBook store requirements. So it may involve copying the text out of the PSD and into iBA so that the text actually exists. After all, Chapters and Sections need names.

The captions: These can be put into the image as a normal caption (so that the come up when the image goes fullscreen, and if you select 'free form', the can be moved about on the page.

The 'layout' PSDs. These can be thought of as 'background' images. You can export them as jpgs from PS (sizes/res previoulsy mentioned by Vinnyvg).

One thing to look at from the outset is this: interactive elements don't like to be overlapped. Each interactive element has a rectangular 'hit box' to trigger it. Overlapping these areas can provide sketchy results.

It's also good practice to ensure that interactive elements lie 40pts away from the edge of the page, as this can conflict with the 'page turn' action.

Interactive elements can be handled via the 'show object as thumbnail' option in Widget Inspector>Interaction.

If an item can have a thumbnail, then you can use any image you like as a placeholder – including a blank .png with nothing in it. This creates a transparent box that you can move over the top of the background image to fire up the approriate image. That can also be done with video, HTML widgets, etc. Caveat - I wouldn't use it on audio, you can stop it, but you can't pause or stop it.

It's not going to be easy, but what is? Take a small chunk and have a go at it. This should give you a much better idea of the problems you're going to come across.

Apr 17, 2014 12:00 PM in response to Mac_fool

Thanks to you both. I was trying to figure out a way of working that would avoid having to pick apart the Photoshop layers, but considering Apple's recommendation that text not be embedded in images, it looks like we'll have to do that anyway. I've explained to the client and I believe she is planning to separate everything and send text and images separately, as usual. Thanks again!

Client created spreads as PSDs, wants me to add interactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.