Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rainbow wheel in top right screen, wrong time, prefenences folder empty nothing launches, help?

Hi, my mbp had had multiple issues lately, today it froze again in Firefox, so i force quit the app and closed all others. When i came back tot it, i got the spinning wheel over the top right part of the menu and noticed the time was stil where i about left it a couple hours ago. No apps would launch, the

Icons keep bouncing. I searched these boards for solutions, which may be removing plists, but the entire preferences folder is empty. Also no thumbnailsfrom documents or pictures will show and i can't open disc repair app. Does anyone know what's going on, could this be a logic board battery issue? Should i restart it with shift key held or will that mess things up even more?

Thanks for any tips!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), snow leopard

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 12:28 PM

If you can't shut it down through normal means, hold down the power button for several seconds until it shuts off. Restart it and see if you still have the problem. It's most likely your hard drive failing. Hopefully you have backups.

3 replies

rainbow wheel in top right screen, wrong time, prefenences folder empty nothing launches, help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.