Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes could not connect to this ipad. you do not have permission

Hi

I have read and performed a lot of activities when I first got the error message above saying that I do not have permission. So, I have done the following.

1. Updated all software updates pending on my Macbook Pro running MAC OSX 10.7.5. It is Mac Book Pro Intel Core7 including the latest Itunes.

2. I have authorized my computer since I apparently had not done that before

3. I have rebooted the Ipad and the Macbook Pro several times

I have not been able to perform the following action which apparently helped some.

From the Finder menu:

Go/Go to Folder...

Enter: var/db/lockdown

Select everything in folder and delete

Restart computer

I could not find the folder vad/db/lockdown. The finder says it cannot find the folder. Am I typing it in wrong?

I also was not able despite many many attempts to upgrade to Mavericks. Could this be a reason. The upgrade SW is still on this Mac but have not been able to execute the upgrade.

Help please.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 6:37 PM

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/db/lockdown

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2014 6:37 PM in response to JoachimB73

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/db/lockdown

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Apr 10, 2014 11:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you. This sorted this question. After this and several reboots later I got the error. itunes could not connect to this ipad. could not allocate a resource. I then proceeded with reinstalling Itunes and then ran verify disk permissions and then did a reboot. I still get the same error. Any ideas what to do next?

One idea I have is that when I migrated from my old mac book to my new one I could not get my old user name to work so I had to create a new one. This means that I have two on my new Mac Book Pro. I think that might be the problem. I do not know how to merge or migrate the new to be the master though. Maybe this will give further clarity and tips for resolution?

Apr 24, 2015 11:53 PM in response to JoachimB73

I had this problem. Although it doesn't seem to be rare, I could not find a solution. Apple support was little or no help. However, I have fixed the issue.

As has been suggested, the problem is in the /var/db/lockdown folder. However, as has been suggested, you cannot delete individual files from this folder because they are locked by _usbmuxd. You will see files with names corresponding to devices you have synched with iTunes. Sure enough there was one for my iPhone and one for my iPad. The phone synched just fine but the iPad would not. It would synch with iTunes for Windows and with an older iMac.

It would refuse to connect with my Mac Book Pro.

The solution is to move the "lockdown" folder to the trash. The files in the folder are locked, but the folder itself is not. I then created an empty folder called "lockdown."

Next I restarted the computer and ran "Repair Permissions." This repair to a very long time, but the last item in the log window said "Repaired var/db/lockdown folder." I reconnected the iPad and tapped trust. I then opened iTunes and connected to the iPad. All functions are normal. The var/db/lockdown folder now has a new file for the iPad.

Hope this helps.

May 8, 2015 8:50 AM in response to hotlegz85

You might try the terminal commands discussed in the link below. I tried connecting to an older iMac to make a backup in case my deletion of the folder discussed above failed. I got another error message similar to yours and I tried the procedure outlined in the link. It worked.

One of the problems I've had is that Apple Support does not know what the solution is. They were extremely helpful, but they didn't know what to do.

When I called them back to let them know I found a solution, they said they would refer it to the engineers for study. They promised to get back to me, but it has not happened yet.

If a missing folder or incorrect permissions prevents iTunes authorization - Apple Support

Itunes could not connect to this ipad. you do not have permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.