Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning using Disk Utility Gone Wrong

I have been attempting to partition my hard drive so that I can install windows 7 to my computer (Late 2010 Macbook Pro, 13inch, currently using Mavericks), but Bootcamp was not working for whatever reason. I instead tried to partition my hard drive using Disk Utility, and after getting about half way through the partition process, realized that I had not changed the size of the new partition to the size I wanted (automatically, the new partition takes up half of the hard drive, but I wanted it to take up much less than that). I closed out of Disk Utility in an attempt to cancel the partition process, and a pop up told me that I had "unsaved changes" to the partition that would be lost. Thinking that I wanted to lose the changes, I clicked accept, and exited out of the program. However, now, Disk Utility is claiming that I only have about 12 GB of space left on my hard drive, even though I had over 200GB left before. How do I get this space back?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 2:57 PM

12 replies

Apr 10, 2014 8:14 PM in response to Melophage

Last login: Thu Apr 10 18:03:08 on console

wr-130-64-184-253:~ betsyk$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 319.2 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

wr-130-64-184-253:~ betsyk$ diskutil cs list

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

wr-130-64-184-253:~ betsyk$ mount

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

wr-130-64-184-253:~ betsyk$ df -m /

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on

/dev/disk0s2 304425 274476 29698 91% 70329971 7602931 90% /

wr-130-64-184-253:~ betsykirtland$

Apr 10, 2014 9:03 PM in response to betsyk42

betsyk42,

the output shows that you still have only a single OS X partition, with no Windows partition, but that the OS X partition is 91% full. Log in as your administrative user and run the following command in Terminal to see where this space is being used:

sudo du -ms /Applications /Library /System /Users/* /opt /private /tmp /usr /var

(Note that the forum software might display this single-line command as multiple lines.)

This command will ask you for a password; give it your administrative user’s password. The password will not display as you type it in; this is a security measure.

Please include in your reply the full output from this command.

Apr 11, 2014 9:28 AM in response to betsyk42

Partitioning a hard drive:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html

To resize (or delete) an existing partition without losing data, you will need to use, for example, iPartition:

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

How to remove a Bootcamp Windows partition:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/delete-boot-camp-partition-from-mac-3496241 /

Apr 11, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Melophage

Sorry, I wasn't patient enough. Here is the output:

resnet150-50:~ betsykirtland$ sudo du -ms /Applications /Library /System /Users/* /opt /private /tmp /usr /var

Password:

28182 /Applications

8474 /Library

4687 /System

4 /Users/Shared

72809 /Users/betsykirtland

5 /Users/fdl

du: /opt: No such file or directory

6152 /private

1 /tmp

512 /usr

1 /var

Apr 11, 2014 11:26 AM in response to betsyk42

betsyk42,

other than the line break which the forum software added, did you enter the sudo command exactly as it was given in my last reply?

If you did, then something in your administrative user’s Terminal environment is interfering with the execution of the du command. What output do the following Terminal commands produce when you’re logged in as your administrative user?

echo "${PATH}"

which du

EDIT: betsyk42, your last post didn’t appear in the discussion when I’d entered this reply, so please ignore this reply, as it’s not relevant.

Apr 11, 2014 11:36 AM in response to betsyk42

betsyk42,

the totals shown by the du command amount to around 121 GB, so that confirms the mystery of where that other space could be.

Do you use Time Machine to make regular backups? If so, then one possibility is that the other space might be taken up by Time Machine local snapshots. If you do use Time Machine, when was its last successful backup?

One thing that you could try, whether or not you use Time Machine, is to boot into Safe mode, which will make your MacBook Pro do a disk check as part of the boot process, and then run the df -m / command in Terminal there to see if the reported total changes at all.

Partitioning using Disk Utility Gone Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.