Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adware nusiance - "visual match"

IN the last week or so, a program has inserted itself into my safari browser. This is a pop-up type of thing that actually covers over clickable links and sends one to another different webpage. It's extremelly aggressive and annoying. I've found no info on where this nasty bit of code resides or how to rid my computer of it.

HelP!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), ATI Radeon HD 4870

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 4:08 PM

2 replies

Apr 10, 2014 6:46 PM in response to James Kayten

Back up all data, then uninstall Glims. Log out, log back in, and test. I strongly recommend that you never install that unsupported hack again, or any other like it. If you want trouble-free computing, avoid software that makes miraculous changes to other software, especially built-in applications. The only real exception to that rule is Safari extensions, which are mostly safe, and are easy to get rid of when they don’t work. "Glims" is not a Safari extension.

Apr 11, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

Okay, I found the problem. I didn't have GLIMs installed, or any of the other suggestions I found here. This solved the problem on my machine:

Move the following items to the trash. Note that removing many of these files will require administrator access, so you will need to be sure you are logged in to an admin account on your Mac. If you are not, you will be unable to remove some of them.

/Library/Application Support/VSearch

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.vsearch.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vsearch.daemon.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vsearch.helper.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/Jack.plist

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/Jack

/System/Library/Frameworks/VSearch.framework

Reference from SafeMac

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-downlite/

adware nusiance - "visual match"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.