Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you manually order screens within applications?

Hi!

Say you have two applications open, Word and Safari. You have one full screen word document up, and two full screen windows of safari. How do you change the order of the full screen windows in Safari?

From looking online, what I have discovered is that a mac is designed to order the windows depending on recency and frequency of use, and that you can turn this off in Mission Control by unchecking "automatically rearrange spaces based on recent use".

However, what if you want two windows to remain next to each other? And if they are not in the order you want, is there a way to manually order them?

For example, I have:

Window A) Full screen Word document

Window B) Full screen Safari window with text I need to refer to for the word document

Window C) Full screen Safari window with gmail open in it, used for emailing.

I would like to keep Window A and Window B next to each other, as I frequently have to flick between the two. However, I also check my emails a lot, and then sometimes Window C swaps places with Window B, so that I have to swipe through it when I am wanting to go between the Word document and the Safari page with the text I need to refer to.

So: is there a way to manually order the windows, once they are where they are?

This annoys me a lot! Especially as, in reality, a) I often have more than 2 Safari windows open, so when the Word document and Safari reference page are separated by 3 or 4 other Safari pages and you have to flick through all of them every time you want to quickly copy and paste something, it is irritating and b) I understand that the order may be based on recent use, but it never seems quite predictable. Often even when I haven't looked at a particular window for a while, when I wake my computer from sleep mode, it is suddenly now in the position next to the word document. Argh!

This is an issue that has been bugging me for ages, so any help will be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks very much!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 5:12 PM

There are no replies.

How do you manually order screens within applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.