Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wall-charger gets EXTREMELY hot when charging my 5C?

I recently got an Iphone 5C from Sprint. So far, amazing. No IOS software issues or anything that I've noticed. Ifso, I will no doubt be posting to here if it boils down to looking as such after my initial troubleshooting. But this, this is just bizzare. I've never had this happen with any of my electronics that I've noticed, not this bad atleast. My wall charger, yes the official Apple Inc one that came with the brand new Iphone 5C, gets extremely hot when I charge my 5C via the lightning cable, yes the official Apple Inc lightning cable that came with the Apple phone, not a generic one or anything(I'm aware of what Apple built into the lightning cable to make the generic cables not function correctly for charging the 5-gens, therefore I don't even waste my money or try). Not only does the wall block/usb port get extremely overheated, the chord itself does as well. However, for the past month I've been charging it on my Xbox and it's not having anykind of these symptoms. But whatever I seem to plug into the Apple Inc wall block/usb port overheats to the point that I'd think if I left the house it may start a fire, I noticed sometimes this occurred when nothing was charging as well but it didn't happen all the time. Not cool, guys. Better add damage due to poorly manufactured wall blocks to your manufacturer's warranty/"care" that you charge 199$ for as a deductible. -.- Love the products, but you guys are scaring/will scare plenty more customers away if you continue the way you've been.

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1, Lameness, that's about it.

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 7:22 PM

It's normal. My charger gets hot when charging my phone too. You're fine

10 replies

Apr 10, 2014 7:24 PM in response to Xenophontis

OH YEAH! The even scarier part I forgot to mention is that when my 5C was charging via the lightning cable connected into the usb port on the wall block; My actual 5C device got extremely hot as well. This was very displeasing, and continues to disturb me in the back of my mind because had I not noticed the extreme heat coming from the back center of my phone the first couple times I attempted using the provided/recommended charing method, my phone may have exploded or flatout stopped working, or something not good. This is unacceptable. I'm a loyal customer, but some of this stuff needs to be addressed/looked into. &for god's sake, please (keyword:) perfect all these products(phone, usb charge cable, usb port/wall block) before releasing them to us, otherwise it will only affect you as a company negatively down the road, with time. Only one I have nothing negative to say about is the headphones, except for the design of them. But yes, any explanations, please do post! Thanks.

Jun 20, 2014 7:55 AM in response to MzeeKeith

MzeeKeith wrote:

I Bought the iPhone 5c for my grandaughter and we to experienced very hot charger. my daughter threw it out due to concerns of fire hasard I wish she had kept it so I could complain to Apple. We have now the older bulkier model

That is exactly what should have happened .

All electrical items will heat whilst charging but to be hot is not normal ,It was under warranty along with everything else in the box and if not satisfactory Apple would replace it under the warranty

Jun 20, 2014 11:04 AM in response to wegras

Agreed with Pete, though this could as mean they are using the block with a higher voltage. Get a new charger block (your cable should be fine) or take it to Apple for inspection. I do not recommend using your iPhone while it is on the charger. While charging ensure you are not over using Bluetooth or Wifi, For optimal charging put iPhone in Airplane mode or turn it off.

Jun 4, 2015 4:13 PM in response to Community User

Hi,

I have had three iPhones, being a Verizon wireless customer, I was late to the iPhone game, but have used apple products since the 80's

Anyway, I have had chargers get warm to the touch, even the back of the phone sometimes will get a little warm. Never Have I had either get burning hot to the touch. In fact, I have used my phones while charging, if I've had to without problems. Sounds like the chargers in question here were defective, or it could have been the device battery causing heat, as it's usually the batteries that overheat. I know there haven't been anymore replies to this since last year, but I thought i'd ask a couple questions just in case readers might still have issues.

1. Does the device , or charger smell like something is burning, or melting?

2. Do you notice a decrease in battery life, or the battery starting to not hold a charge reliably, or the time it holds the charge, decreases?

This could be a symptom of a defective battery.

Things you could try, are charging another apple device with the charger, such as an iPod touch, or another iPhone.

Another thing, and I've done this, is if you have a bus powered, usb 2.5" hard drive plug that into the charger, and it should spin up. Let it run about a minute, if the brick is working correctly, it shouldn't get hot powering the device, If it does get hot, then you most likely have a faulty wall adapter, and it should be replaced.

Hope this helps anyone who may read it and need some suggestions!

P.S.

A defective battery can be a serious security and health risk, as long as apple can verify this and there hasn't been any user damage to the device, I don't see why they wouldn't either replace the device, or the battery.

My wall-charger gets EXTREMELY hot when charging my 5C?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.