Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you prevent your phone from locking during voice calls? Mute/unmute features? Are there any? Please help?

Here is the problem - I am often on conference calls. My company, for security reasons requires that I use the lock phone feature. However, I will be on a call, I have muted myself, then the phone locks. I then have to key in my password, and unmute my phone. This prevents me from "jumping in" the conversation appropriately. I either sound like I'm not paying attention or worse, I'm talking over someone else and seem rude. I have tried to search for any of the following features on the iphone 5 c.

• Prevent phone from locking during phone calls
  • Set a button on the phone as mute/unmute
  • Find a headset that has a mute/unmute feature

I am not the only one at my company struggling with this so I'm thinking others might be too and that there is a solution!

Please help!

Thank you.

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 7:44 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2014 3:35 AM in response to Heather_____M

When holding the device up to one's face for a conversation, the screen turns off by default, or it should. If it is not, then either the proximity sensor is being interferred with or is not working. If there is a screen protector or case on the device, remove it to see if the screen turns off as designed. If that does not resolve, take the device to Apple for evaluation so they can determine if the proximity sensor is working properly.

Apr 11, 2014 5:21 AM in response to Heather_____M

Sounds like you need to upgrade to the iPhone 5s

The 5s has Touch ID

You can unlock your phone with your finger instead of typing in a key code

No swiping to unlock either, just touch the home button

You can enrol multiple fingers as well

Here is a video of it in action

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

Or wait and see what iPhone 6 has to offer

That being said, as desiel vdub posted if the phone is up to your face, the proximity sensor should turn the screen off

And when you lower the phone turn it back on again

Not sure about the phone locking when your on a call doesn't sound right

Feb 9, 2016 8:20 AM in response to Consumer Joe

I've tried this. But here is what happened while I was testing this: While on a call, I locked the phone. I then "woke" the phone and swiped to reveal the phone controls. Then I locked the phone again and swiped but this time, instead of the phone it was the pin-number screen. I unlocked the phone and tried again a couple of minutes later and it was the phone controls again.

Why would it sometimes swipe to reveal the phone controls and sometimes swipe to reveal the pin-number screen?

How do you prevent your phone from locking during voice calls? Mute/unmute features? Are there any? Please help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.