Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail search

I have seen several people asking in vain how to get search working in Mail, but in Mavericks there is clearly a but in which Mail's serch feature DOES NOT WORK AT ALL! I can search for messages that are on my screen at the time and Mail can't find them. In fact, no matter what I search for, no matter how I search for it, and no matter where I search, SEARCH NEVER FINDS ANYTYING!

I hope it's clear that this is very frustrating. Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 9:04 PM

Try Spotlight. Click the Spotlight magnifying glass icon top right in your screen.

If you don't see any mail related results, open System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results

Select: Mail & Messages

Then try another Spotlight search.

Searching in Mail on OS X v10.9 Mavericks works fine here.

7 replies

Feb 3, 2015 11:09 AM in response to JpMkr

Believe it or not Mail Search is still stuffed up in Mail under Yosemite.

I reported this repeatedly to Apple until they removed the ability to report problems direct from Mail.

It's a complete shambles. tries to force you to search in certain ways that are not what you want to do.

Mail used to be a great application but Apple have stuffed it up badly along with Safari.

Feb 4, 2015 8:08 AM in response to 8383

Couldn't agree more, Mail is a complete mess compared to the past and the fact they have removed the software from discussion confirms Apple knows it as well.

In the past you could select a name from the list and clicking on the header bar would display all mail from or to that person, no more. Search is mess compared to the past. Multiple copies of messages go to multiple folders, and those put in specific folders end up in others. Retrieving new mail from Gmail takes forever. I can't believe after Yosemite updates they haven't fixed it!

And Safari is as messed up, many times a day I have to go to Firefox or Chrome simply to get some websites to work properly.

With all that money, at least fix your core applications!

mail search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.