Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Got a warning about my out of date OS

Got a quick pop warning that my OS, 10.6.8 is out of date and will no longer be supported?

What exactly does this mean

I use older applications (for instance Final Cut Studio with FCP 6) as part of my business and no desire to upgrade it so I feel I am committed to this OS, I really don't want to upgrade

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 7:35 PM

15 replies

Apr 10, 2014 11:39 PM in response to VJK

Snow Leopard is out of date, and there have been pop-ups pointing out that Mavericks is available as a free upgrade, though not mentioning anything about SL not being supported. If the pop-up was in a browser it may have been generated by a particular site - I've seen a couple of similar warnings (though not phrased the same) as banners on a web page rather than actual pop-ups.

Snow Leopard probably isn't supported any more in the sense of not receiving any security updates. Apple haven't actually announced this, but they haven't issued an update for some time. The principal weakness is Safari so you might want to consider using FireFox, which is being kept up to date.

You can go on using SL as long as your Mac holds out - it's not going to stop working, it's just that effectively it's frozen where it is so there is a slight possibility that you might be vulnerable to problems which a security update would have fixed.

Apr 11, 2014 5:28 AM in response to a brody

Thanks everyone

This is pretty much what I thought, it was just weird to see that pop up I think it may indeed have related to a specific program

I'm using Google more and more actually

On this computer I will stick right where it is in the past in order to ensure my old programs work properly, I have other devices that can exist in this current timeline

Apr 12, 2014 6:55 PM in response to VJK

VJK wrote:

I use older applications (for instance Final Cut Studio with FCP 6) as part of my business and no desire to upgrade it so I feel I am committed to this OS, I really don't want to upgrade

If and when you change your mind and want to experiment with an upgrade to OS X, partition your hard drive and install the upgraded version of OS X (Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks, depending on which model Mac you own) into the new partition.

However, if you want to continue to work with FCP 6 in the new partition: first install Snow Leopard into the new partition, then install FCP 6 and then upgrade the OS X.

The method will get around the so-called "PowerPC bug" in the installer of FCP6.

Apr 13, 2014 10:28 AM in response to Lexiepex

LexSchellings wrote:

I wonder how many updates FCP6 will survive in Lion or higher (if it works at all).👿

Reports on this forum (and others) are that FCP6 does work in Lion and Mt. Lion and that it runs in Mavericks, but I have not seen substantial testing of it in Mavericks reported yet (although I do not directly follow that issue).

The issue I do follow is that the FCP6 installer has a "bug" that prevents it from functioning in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks, so:

1) If already installed in Snow Leopard and then the OS X is upgraded, it will function; and

2) In can be installed using Pacifist, or the "Jeremy Johnstone Terminal" method described on his blog.

Apr 13, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Lexiepex

Well, of course, using software that is not updated (in the sense that FCP6 has had its last update before they released FCP7 and now FCP X) for a new version of OS X is always a crap-shoot!

Strangely enough, http://roaringapps.com (the website for checking the workability of all software in Snow Leopard through Mavericks), reports no data for FCP6.

For example, Logic 8 is reported to run in Mavericks (after its own "installer bug" is worked around with Pacifist), but visual "noise" is present on its audio screen to render the program useless in Mavericks.

So this means you have been unable to install FCP6 in Mavericks until my tip today? 😊 Please report back your successes/failures with FCP6 in Mavericks as you gain experience.

Got a warning about my out of date OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.