Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grey screen start up

Hey, having trouble with my MacBook Pro. I care for it really well, it mostly stays on and idle in one spot in my bedroom. I recently shut it off, and now it will not go back on. It does the start up chime, greay screen with apple logo, loading wheel, and loading bar. Then it gets almost halfway loaded on the loading bar and suddenly shuts down. I have tried a Safe Boot and resetting the NVRAM / PRAM.

Please Help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 11:11 PM

7 replies

Apr 11, 2014 12:05 PM in response to shemko

shemko,

you can try this: boot your MacBook Pro into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as it starts up. Once the Mac OS X Utilities menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select your internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Are you able to get to the login screen now?

Apr 11, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Melophage

I got to the point where my Macintosh HD was greyed out, so I hit the Repair Disk Button. Looks like I have a bunch of problems. It started repairing, but then stopped part way and said "Disk Utility stopped repairing Macintosh HD. Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed up files."

You have any recommendations for backing up my computer?

What do you recommend for my next move?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2014 8:38 PM in response to nbar

Hey nbar, thanks for the help. I ended up not being able to back up my stuff (which is a bit upsetting), computer was not able to get to load anything to do with MacIntosh HD... but, I ended up erasing everything on the MacIntosh HD, and now everything seems to be working okay! You have any idea what the problem was? Other then losing everything on my computer, I am a happy girl. Lesson learnt, back your stuff up...

Apr 12, 2014 8:39 PM in response to Melophage

Hey Melophage, thanks for the help. I ended up not being able to back up my stuff (which is a bit upsetting), computer was not able to get to load anything to do with MacIntosh HD... but, I ended up erasing everything on the MacIntosh HD, and now everything seems to be working okay! You have any idea what the problem was? Other then losing everything on my computer, I am a happy girl. Lesson learnt, back your stuff up...

Apr 13, 2014 11:52 AM in response to shemko

shemko,

the direct cause was likely some sort of filesystem corruption. As to what might have caused filesystem corruption, perhaps having to force a shutdown at one time by holding down the power button for several seconds? That’s purely a guess.

Time Machine is a nearly painless method for making regular backups, and is inexpensive insurance against the loss of personal files.

grey screen start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.