Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Placing Mac Pro in an enclosed armoire; how hot does it run?

I currently have a G5 dual 2.7 that runs very hot.

I am thinking of getting a Mac Pro and I would like to place it inside an enclosed armoire. I will cut a hole in the back for ventilation, though I would like to keep the front doors closed while it is on, and I keep my computer turned on all the time. I would like to avoid placing fans in the cabinet if possible. I will also have a stereo receiver in the cabinet and that thing has the potential to get hot.

1. Do you think the Mac Pro runs cool enough to be placed in an enclosed environment like this?

2. If not, would it be enough to keep the front doors of the cabinet open while it is turned on?

Thanks for any input.

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 20, 2006 3:01 PM

17 replies

Aug 20, 2006 3:55 PM in response to kat.hayes

I have to ask why, and hope someone talks you out of this plan. They are quiet, but we have already heard of why FB-DIMMs need their own heat sinks or spreaders and can get overly warm and lead to memory errors w/o proper type.

Have heard of a few people that tried doing so with G4s only to live to regret it.

And of course the 2.7DP which is liquid cooled needs adequate ventilation on all sides. Top, sides, front and back, and not on a carpet.

Aug 20, 2006 5:20 PM in response to kat.hayes

1292/3738

Hello kat.hayes,

Placing any computer in an enclosed armoire is a bad idea.
Such a powerful one as the Mac Pro, indeed is an even worse idea.

If you still need complete silence, then the only hole in the back is not enough:
You need to organize a flow of large pipes with an adjusted big fan system that would sit in the next room.

--> air circulation inside the armoire, noise in another room.

HTH
Axl

Aug 20, 2006 5:35 PM in response to kat.hayes

Cut off a computers or any electronics supply of fresh cool circulating air and your asking for trouble. Placing it in a enclosure is giving it a early death sentance.

G5 processors are hot, the Dual 2.7 is the hottest. Air conditioning to transfer the hot room air to the outside is pretty much mandatory, unless it's so cold outside then you would be welcoming the heat from the G5. 🙂

I keep my room temps below 75ºF as my dual monitors, G5, reciever and other electronic gadgets produce a lot of heat next to my desk. Keeps the G5 fans quiet too.

There is a option you can cut a small hole in the wall and place the G5 in the other room, run the cables. Might have to get a external cd drive. USB/Firewire powered hubs.

Aug 20, 2006 5:40 PM in response to kat.hayes

1293/3739

Sorry,
it was the only obvious reason I could see.

Perhaps taking the whole armoire's back off then, and placing the Mac alone right in the middle of it? A very large armoire, it is, is it?

Personally I would rather enclose the cables, as much as possible, and enjoy the view of such a great machine (and the easy access to ports).

-- Consider my pipes + fan solution though, it's not so complicated as it seems.

Enjoy your new Mac!
Axl

Aug 20, 2006 8:13 PM in response to kat.hayes

User uploaded fileI guess you could try it although as others have said, it would get rather toasty without ventilation. If you're prepared to try you can cut two ventilation holes at the back…

1) At the bottom of the armoire at the front side of the Mac Pro. The side where the air goes into the Mac Pro.

2) Right at the top of the armoire for heated air to escape.

Obviously you need to cut these as big as you can although they may provide enough airflow for your Mac Pro. The hot air flow should provide ample natural circulation. You could also install an exhaust fan at the top hole given you're going to have power inside.

Aug 21, 2006 7:11 AM in response to sg_one

What about MacPro running in room temperature 90 F?

Too hot, for any electronic device.

If you want to prolong the life of your MacPro, monitors and other devices, keep the room cool enough so the devices are just barely warm, to the touch or exhaust.

Check out Hardware Monitor, which hopefully will be having a Mac Pro verison coming out soon, does a good job monitoring the fan speeds and temps.

Aug 21, 2006 11:31 AM in response to kat.hayes

I have no idea why it would be a bad idea to put a Mac on a carpet, but yes, the FB-DIMMS are the memory and they do run hot. Lots of computer components run hot, but most of them don't contribute enough heat to deserve special attention -- at least compared to the main offenders, like hard drives and CPUs.

But the FB-DIMMs in the Mac Pro do get very warm, so much in fact that they require rather large heat spreaders.

Placing Mac Pro in an enclosed armoire; how hot does it run?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.