Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2010 won't recognize new old HDD

My roommate's mid 2010 mbp's hdd took a dive. Confirmed all cables and other components are functioning.

He's on a budget so I swapped in an old 120gb WDC WD1200BEVS-22RST0 that I had in my Mom's old windows machine.

I cannot get this old hdd to mount or be recognized by any machine other than the original windows laptop. I've tried it wiped clean by diskpart. Tried it with an hfs+ partition. Tried it blank with only a gpt on it. Nothing. Put it in an external enclosure and nothing by both mac and pc machines.

I thought I read that they were putting these hdds in 2007 black macbooks. Maybe I'm wrong and they aren't compatible and I'm wasting my time.

No matter what I do to it the windows recovery disc on the old laptop picks it up just fine. One thing diskpart wouldn't let me do (or I couldn't figure out how to do) was put both a gpt and hfs+ partition on it. Can't remember the specific error.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or software recommendations would be great.

tl:dr - Is a WDC WD1200BEVS-22RST0 compatible with a mid-2010 mbp

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), WDC WD1200BEVS-22RST0

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 1:22 AM

1 reply

Mid-2010 won't recognize new old HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.