Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macpro how many videos at once

Hi there,

Has anybody experience with video playback / multi-display-output with the new MacPro.

I want to know how many videos (QT-h264 -1080p) I can play at once and displaying them on different displays/projector?

For example...

Video 1 (QT-h264-1080p) -> Thunderbolt-Out-1 -> TB-HDMI-Konverter -> Projector 1 (1080p)

Video 2 (QT-h264-1080p) -> Thunderbolt-Out-2 -> TB-HDMI-Konverter -> Projector 2 (1080p)

Video 3 (QT-h264-1080p) -> Thunderbolt-Out-3 -> TB-HDMI-Konverter -> Projector 3 (720p)

Video 4 (QT-h264-1080p) -> Thunderbolt-Out-3 -> TB-HDMI-Konverter -> Projector 4 (720p)

Playback-Software like Qlab -> HDMI-Out -> Full-HD-Display

Any experiences???

Thank You

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 3:02 AM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your answer,

The official Apple line is that you are limited to six direct-to-ThunderBolt displays, or two on HDMI or with passive adapters to HDMI:

very interesting... so far I did not expect problems with connecting more than 2 HDMI Displays. But it does not seem so easy. If that is true it makes things more complicated than expected. Because we don't have projectors with a thunderbolt-input ;-)

I just read the techspecs you linked and as far as I understand it is not possible to connect more than 2 HDMI displays... see below

Can I connect more than 2 DVI or HDMI displays?

Mac Pro supports a total of two DVI or HDMI displays when connected via the built-in HDMI port or using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. To connect additional DVI displays, use an active DVI adapter such as the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. You can connect up to six active adapter DVI displays. This requires a powered USB hub since Mac Pro offers four USB ports and you will need six to connect them all.

In the beginning I thought I could connect up to six HDMI displays using a displayport-to-HDMI adapter (each Thunderbolt bus for 2 displays). Now I have to overthink my concept using DVI-adapters...

Apr 13, 2014 7:37 AM in response to SchnippSchnapp

The information in those articles is written by folks who are precise, mathematical thinkers. You must be careful NOT to read information into them that is not actually there.

That article does NOT say that what you want is impossible.

That article does NOT say that other ACTIVE adapters to HDMI will not work (and save you money).

It lays out a simple, repeatble "always works" solution using all-Apple components. You will not get hurt if you follow that advice. That is "the Apple way".

--------

The part you seem to be overlooking is that it is perfectly possible to convert Mini DisplayPort (which plugs into Thunderbolt) to other "legacy" protocols (such as Single-Link DVI or HDMI) with ACTIVE adapters.

macpro how many videos at once

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.