Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't finish windows installation because of no keyboard or mouse

Hello there

Well.. I try to install Windows 7 on my iMac 27" late 2013 via bootcamp.

All the process is ok untill the first Windows 7 screen (country selection etc...) : Both keyboard and mouse don't work...

I tried with wireless keyboard or mouse, wired keyboard and wired mouse... but i don't have pointer and i can't keep on the installation.

Any help please ?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 7:56 AM

this happens alot, use a usb2 flash drive (not usb3) and as a precaution for other issues, also disconnect any other usb devices except your kb and mouse

24 replies

Jan 4, 2016 5:24 AM in response to turbostar

After trying to install windows 7 for the last three days I must say: it doesn’t work at all on my late 2013 27" iMac.

Today I bought another USB 2.0 stick and tried it even with my oldest Apple keyboard but after rebooting mouse and keyboard fail so I cannot finish the installation (Computer name/user setup) I didn’t had the problem in the language selection step.

Any help?

Jan 4, 2016 5:28 AM in response to maxomat

There are two separate phases when two different sets drivers are used. $WinPEDriver$ provides a pre-boot driver set. Once you finish language selection and get to account creation, the drivers are no longer the ones from $WinPEDriver$. Can you open Bootcamp.xml on the USB and post the Product Version line?

Jan 4, 2016 6:09 AM in response to maxomat

maxomat wrote:

Thanks for your quick response, Loner T!

Here it is: <ProductVersion>6.0.6133</ProductVersion>

This is not the correct version for Windows 7. You will need drivers from Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support as appropriate for your model/year.

Is there any way to (manually) replace the "second phase drivers“?

I already modified my USB to work in the first phase by replacing the drivers. So there might be a chance for phase two, too …

Can you elaborate on the modifications? Typically, for W7, you download the drivers from the W7 link, replace the $WinPEDriver$, Bootcamp folder, Bootcamp.xml and AutoUnattend.xml. If you replaced only some files, it will not work. If you replaced the the drivers appropriately, then you should have Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640 on the USB, not 6.0.6133. From 5.1.5640 link,

Post Date: Feb 11, 2014

File Size: 925.6 MB

System Requirements

• MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Early 2014)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2014)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2013)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch & 15-inch, Late 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2013)
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Jan 4, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Loner T

Ok, I’ll make a new USB, replacing the files/folders

$WinPEDriver$

AutoUnattend.xml

BootCamp

with the ones from the BootCamp5.1.5640 download completely (I think, i had done this yet, but give another try).

Now the version is <ProductVersion>5.1.5640</ProductVersion>

The 6.0.6133 version must have been done by the bootcamp assistant download.

My modification was the addition of intel usbhub3 drivers to enable mouse and keyboard.

Jan 4, 2016 10:44 AM in response to Loner T

Today I bought a USB 2.0 flash drive, because my USB 3.0 device did not work. The USB 2.0 one did not work either, no matter which port I used. I’ve read that in the internet, too.

I’m pretty fed up with this right now. Are there also issues with windows 8.1 or is it a piece of cake, installing it compared to windows 7?

Can't finish windows installation because of no keyboard or mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.