Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected as Admin, yet can't transfer file? ***?

Hi all...OS 10.6.8, MacPro 2.66 dual, iMac 21" with i5 processor...

I have the iMac set up with what is supposedly "best practice", with an Admin account and a User account. I am the Admin of that computer...yet when I connect to it as the Admin from my MacPro, I cannot copy files to some of the folders in the User.

Now, I understand that it's probably a permissions issue, but I'm just asking...what was on the coder's mind when they wrote this buggy piece of crap? I am the admin, for cripes sakes...why would the software all of a sudden decide that the admin doesn't have admin capabilities to do something like copy a **** doc to the docs folder?

I await your responses with baited breath...

iMac 3.06 (8 gig)/MacPro 2.66 (10 gig))/iBook 1ghz (1 g), Mac OS X (10.6.8), older Macs

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 9:20 AM

6 replies

Apr 11, 2014 10:27 AM in response to Eric Root

OK, a bit confused by the permutations available here, so here's what I did...

-went to the iMac, made sure the Admin was logged in;

-switched back to the User, made sure (looking at the upper right user dropdown) that the Admin was still logged in;

-went back to MacPro, disconnected as iMac User, reconnected as MacPro user...couldn't copy file;

-disconnected from iMac as MacPro User, reconnected as iMac Admin..couldn't copy file;

-disconnected from iMac as iMac Admin, reconnected as iMac User...file copies.

Let me know if you need clarification on any of the steps...

Apr 12, 2014 7:59 AM in response to Mike Janowski

-disconnected from iMac as MacPro User, reconnected as iMac Admin..couldn't copy file;

-disconnected from iMac as iMac Admin, reconnected as iMac User...file copies.

To the best of my knowledge, an admin user can do things a standard user can't, such as install things, but an admin user doesn't have access to another users 'stuff'. You have to log in as the Root User to be able to do what you want. Your test above shows that.

Connected as Admin, yet can't transfer file? ***?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.