Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2012 MacBookPro(13") keeps randomly overheating/freezing in sleep mode.

About 3 weeks ago i dropped my MacBooPro (mid 2012, 13") while it was in its case, while in my bookbag. the damage was minimal on the outside.User uploaded file

Soon after this happened, I noticed that randomly whenever I put my MBP in sleep mode(by closing the lid), it would sometimes freeze while in sleep and overheat to very high temperatures(hot enough to where i couldnt touch it sometimes), and the only way to get the computer to respond was by hard resetting it. I ran a repair disk permissions test with disk utility and it did repair some issues but i dont think they were at all related because my MBP continued to randomly freeze. I even took it to a tech repair place and they ran apple's diagnostics check and told me that nothing came up after the test, they also told me the HD was fine. so i snooped around the interwebs to see what else i could do. i ran across some threads that said an issue like this may be related to the RAM. So i ran a Memtest just to be sure. once again nothing came up.

User uploaded file

Just to cover all my bases, I reset the SMC twice, once by removing the battery, and the other time without removing the battery. I also reset the PRAM as well.

The second time I reset the SMC by removing the battery it seemed to fix my freezing problem for a short while, but it began to randomly freeze again about a day later. I noticed the improvement in performance because prior to the SMC reset, whenever i tried to change the fanspeed using smcFanControl it would only do so for about a second, and then revert to apple's default fanspeed.

The only thing that i can think of that would be causing this is something having to do with the RAM. maybe it got nudged out of place or something, i'm not sure. All I know is that nothing I do seems to be fixing the issue. any advice on what to do would help immensely

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 9:59 AM

There are no replies.

Mid 2012 MacBookPro(13") keeps randomly overheating/freezing in sleep mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.