Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing file and question mark symbol

My Mac is alternating between displaying a flashing file with a question mark and the prohibitory symbol. I tried holding down the option key after restarting but nothing is working. I updated my OSX Lion last night, but I don't know what update it was. I need this computer working in the next 3 hours. Please help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), I updated my OSX Lion last night

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 12:29 PM

6 replies

Apr 11, 2014 1:03 PM in response to TCUHornedFrog21

The symptoms you describe suggest that the HDD has problems or the connection to the HDD is faulty. Try what Melophage suggests and if successful, go to Disk Utility>First Aid and run Verify and Restore. If it does not boot with COMMAND-R, Try OPTION-COMMAND-R.

If no success, then a trip to the Apple store will be required for a quick resolution.

Ciao.

Apr 11, 2014 1:14 PM in response to TCUHornedFrog21

Are you able to boot into Single User Mode?

Mac OS X: How to start up in single-user or verbose mode

If so, perform a disk check via the command line:

1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.
    Note: If necessary, perform a forced restart as described in the Emergency Troubleshooting Handbook that came with your computer. On desktop computers, you can do this by pressing the reset/interrupt button (if there is one) or holding down the power button for several seconds. On portable computers, simultaneously press the Command-Control-power keys. If your portable computer doesn't restart with this method, you may need to reset the Power Manager.
  2. At the command-line prompt type:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
  3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:
    ** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK
    If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
  4. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Apr 11, 2014 1:18 PM in response to TCUHornedFrog21

If you have a 2.5" SATA enclosure, you can take out the internal HDD, install it in the enclosure and connect it to the MBP via USB.

Boot the MBP OPTION key down. If the now external HDD icon appears and click on it and see if the MBP boots. That will mean that the internal connection is faulty. Usually a cable replacement is required.

If the HDD is not recognized, then the HDD has failed.

Again, the Apple store genius bar is the place for a quick resolution.

Ciao.

Flashing file and question mark symbol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.