Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Wife's MacBook Pro not booting

Hi All,

I hope someone can help, My wife's macbook pro (bought early 2011) was suffering from split screen then freezing. I read online that it could be due to logicboard issues so I did the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and it said everything was fine. So while opening final cut pro, the Mac froze and nothing was happening, so we had to do a hard shutdown (held down power button).

The next thing we know is, chimes, loading with Apple logo then grey screen. So recovery mode => loading screen with Apple logo and bar at bottom => Frozen blue screen.

I read some more online, did reset of PRAMand SMC. Did the Internet recovery. held "option" and selected recovery (now instead of showing Macintosh HD it shows "EFI boot")

There was no CD that came with the Mac so i cant even do a repair.

I am getting pretty desperate on what options are left, any other suggestions would be helpful.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 1:33 PM

21 replies

Apr 11, 2014 7:47 PM in response to KimoMansour

KimoMansour,

since your wife’s MacBook Pro has Recovery mode available, that’s where you’ll find its repair options. Reboot into Recovery mode, and when the OS X Utilties menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select the internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Are you able to get to the login screen now?

Apr 12, 2014 11:28 AM in response to KimoMansour

KimoMansour,

since your wife’s MacBook Pro was bought in early 2011, it will have originally come from the factory with two grey model-specific installation DVDs. (Models that came from the factory with Lion or later didn’t come with grey installation DVDs in the box, but Lion wasn’t released until July 2011.) You can buy a replacement pair of these grey DVDs from Apple, but not through the online Apple store — you’ll need to call Apple to get the particular pair that her model needs; have her MacBook Pro’s serial number handy when you call. One of the grey DVDs has the original bootable version of Mac OS X for her model; the other one has the Apple Hardware Test and the iLife apps for her model.

Apr 15, 2014 5:33 AM in response to KimoMansour

KimoMansour wrote:

Hi Melo,

Unfortunately no DVD was sent with the laptop, i still have the case in the same condition as it came. As far as i read online, some models dont come with the DVD so in order to do what you suggest i have to download it (purchase) from apple store 😟

Reboot your Mac, hold down the command-option and R keys as soon as you hear the chime, continue to hold them until Internet Recovery loads (a spinning globe will appear onscreen) or it fails.

Post back.

Apr 16, 2014 1:31 AM in response to KimoMansour

KimoMansour wrote:

Hey melo,

well macbook is early 2011, i entered the sr no on apple support and it says its early 2011. in any case the AHT brings no problems back, it says everything is fine. this is so frustrating. I used both quick scan and detailed one. Says no hardware problem.

I guess i have to take it in for repair 😟

I think that would be best.

My Wife's MacBook Pro not booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.