Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User accounts and pass words

Hello I am new to MAC and received my new MAC Air yesterday. I am moving from a Windows XP computer and going through the setup. I installed Microsolf Office 365 for MAC and used the migration assistant to move my office anfiles that ran through the night. This moring it appears the files transferred fin and everything was workig. I shut the MAC down to install a keyboard and monitor and when i started back up I had 3 user choice to log in wiyh. One was the user account that I had set up when I fiirst got the MAC, one was an Administer user, and the other was the username that had been on the old windows PC. I assumed this was transferred during the file migration. I tried to log in under this user account but when I entered the password I had used on the windows computer it woulld accept it. I could log in withe the MAC user account that I had set up but under this user account I cannot find the file files that are were moved to the MAC. My questions is that what happens in the file and settings migration. Is there a way ro reset the password with the user name from my old windows PC. I was bale to set a pasword for administratoe but stil cann ot the the files that were moved.

Thanks for any assistance

Don

Windows XP, update itunes

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 1:24 PM

9 replies

Apr 12, 2014 4:50 AM in response to adonh

Apple's Migration Assistant will only migrate files from a Mac to another Mac, so I am puzzled by your comment that you used migration assistant to move your Office files onto the MacBookAir. Can you explain more about that?

Also, to confirm how many user accounts are on the Mac, in Finder please hold down the command & shift keys & press the G key. In the window that pops up, press the / key (the one with the question mark also on it) & then press return. This should take you to the root level of the startup drive.

You should see several items, one of which should be a folder named "Users." Open that folder & make a note of how many user accounts are listed there & their names. One should be named "Shared." It is not actually a user account. The others should correspond to the choices you see when starting up the Mac.

Are they the same?

Apr 12, 2014 2:21 PM in response to ivansky

I was able to reset the password for the one user that would not open and I am able to log in a nd work with the migrated files. But now every few minutes I get a drop down with message like this "Mail wants to use the login keychain please enter keycahin password" I enter the password that I reset and the drop down goes away. Then another drop down appears, "Keychain wants to use the login keychain enter password. I enter thye reset password and it goes away. But they pop up agian and again. This dies not happen on the other usewr account or the administrator account. I read something that I need to change the keychain password, but I have not found any instructions to do this.

Thanks for any help

User accounts and pass words

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.