Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my MacBook Air slow on any WiFi network?

I have been having a strange issue with my 2013 11" MacBook Air (Mavericks 10.9.2). It has seemed very pokey on internet lately. The past couple of weeks in some places I have not been able to get online via wifi, including GOGO on Delta, which has never been a problem (iPad and iPhone got on right away). So back to my house, which is on a Time Warner 30Mbps cable internet service. A browser speed test is only showing 1-3Mbps, which is on a Time Warner 30Mbps internet service. I am getting terrible speeds as I mentioned. Today I reset the modem and my airport extreme. Then I took a MacBook Pro I have and went direct into modem with ethernet cable and speed went into the low 50Mbps!!!!! So then I took the same MacBook Pro and went back to wifi, speed test still very strong - 30Mbps or better. But back to my MacBook Air, and speed test only 1-3Mbps. I also tried speed test on my iPhone, and it also shows 20-30Mbps. So now I am convinced something is weird in my MacBook Air - the network and airport extreme don’t seem to be the problem. I dont know what else to do on the MacBook Air to try and resolve this issue. Can anyone give me any ideas? I tried zapping the PRAM, still no help. Thanks for any input or ideas!

iMac 24", MacBook Air & 2 MacBooks, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 6:22 PM

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2014 6:22 PM in response to j-bird

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Apr 11, 2014 6:56 PM in response to j-bird

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Why is my MacBook Air slow on any WiFi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.