Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.pages file created in Pages for Mac won't open in Pages for iPad

Just created a pages document on my Mac, saved it to my google drive and when attempting to "open in" from my google drive the file won't open in pages for iPhone or iPad (mini).

All versions of Pages are on latest release.

Messge reads:

Document can't be imported.

The file format is invalid.

I download both the mac app and ios app a week ago.

Thank you for any info!

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 4:31 PM

3 replies

Apr 12, 2014 8:01 AM in response to aaschnobrich

Once you are off the Mac filesystem (e.g. Google Drive) the Pages document is just a folder, not the file abstraction as it appears on OS X. This is a departure from Pages ’09 which was actually a compressed zip of a folder that was renamed as foo.pages. That older Pages format worked on other filesystems because it appeared as a single (compressed folder) zip file.

WIth Pages v5+, you must first right-click on the Pages document, and then select the Compress menu item. Now, you will have foo.pages.zip, a legitimate file for Google Drive, and if received by IOS Mail as an attachment, it will be automatically uncompressed and opened by IOS Pages v2.2, with just a tap.

Apr 12, 2014 10:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

I've been testing file structures via google drive this morning and have yet to find a solution.

Compressed files will not open in Pages on the ipad and an upload to Google Drive of a .pages document re downloaded to my desktop will no longer open in Pages on the Mac.

Somewhere in the google ecosystem during upload or download / "open in" (on the ipad) the file is being restructured so that it cannot be recognized.

An hour call with the team at Google hasn't supplied an answer yet and they have opened a case file to investigate.

I'll update when I hear back.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2014 5:22 PM in response to aaschnobrich

I tested a compressed Pages v5.2 document as an e-mail attachment, that when accessed within IOS 7.1 Mail, it downloaded, uncompressed, and opened in Pages v2.2.

I doubt that there is anything Google can do because the Pages v5 document format is uniquely proprietary to Apple, and nothing like the prior Pages ’09 format. And iCloud is having nothing to do with compressed zip documents.

.pages file created in Pages for Mac won't open in Pages for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.