Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting in aperture does not delete from disk

When deleting masters in Aperture 3.5.1 it does not delete the files from the disk.

I'm using a WD MyBook USB Drive formatted for MAC OS.

I only use referenced masters to save space with the Aperture Library.

Any help to get Aperture to delete files fully, or a way to find a couple years worth of not deleted files on the drive

(e.g. find all files in a folder on the drive that are not in Aperture), would be very welcomed.

thanks

- omaether

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 3:35 PM

17 replies

Apr 11, 2014 6:21 PM in response to omaether

Are you are really referring to when you empty the Aperture trash the referenced originals on the WD drive are not deleted or is the Aperture library located on the WD drive with managed originals?

If the former when the confirmation window appears there is a checkbox in the window that is displayed if there are any referenced originals in the Aperture trash. If there are the checkbox asks if you want to move the originals to the system trash also. Do you get this checkbox and are you selecting it?

If so do you get any messages when Aperture trys to move the originals to the system trash?

What happens if you delete a file on the WD with the Finder? Does it get moved to the system trash?

Apr 13, 2014 5:43 AM in response to omaether

Hi.

Yes the Drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, I don't use teh WD software.

I really do mean when I empty the Aperture trash the referenced originals on the WD drive are not deleted.

When emptying Aperture Trash, I get the check box to "move them to Trash" but do not check it as I simply want the files removed.

Do you need to check that box? The description of it sounds like you want to keep them around in your trash rather than removing them permenantly.

If I delete on the drive it's moved to the trash and marked unavailalbe in Aperture so I'm currently doing both deleting on the drive manually then deleting from Aperture.

Thank you both for your comments!

Apr 13, 2014 5:55 AM in response to omaether

When emptying Aperture Trash, I get the check box to "move them to Trash" but do not check it as I simply want the files removed.

Do you need to check that box?

Yes, you need to check that option. Otherwise the originals will not be deleted from the drive - you might be referencing them from a different iPhoto or Aperture library as well. You can either move the referenced originals to the System Trash or leave them in their original location.

Apr 13, 2014 6:25 AM in response to omaether

Yes that option moves the originals from their curent location to the system trash. Once there you can remove them from your disk by emptying the system trash as you would normally.

If I delete on the drive it's moved to the trash and marked unavailalbe in Aperture so I'm currently doing both deleting on the drive manually then deleting from Aperture.

If you check the box you won;t have to do this, Aperture will do it for you.

Aug 4, 2014 12:15 AM in response to omaether

I'm seeing a similar problem. For example, if I import a single file into a new project, then delete that project e.g. via context menu, that project is moved to Aperture's Trash as you'd expect. Then I empty the Trash, and get a warning that 1 Version is about to be deleted. The project is then deleted from the Trash.

But if I browse to the Master file's location in the Finder (I am using managed originals so I open up the Aperture library package), the master is still there. That's the same for any masters (with a single version) I try to permanently remove in Aperture.

Any others seeing this?

Aug 6, 2014 12:07 PM in response to léonie

Hi,

I had the same problem: the master file is not deleted.

After some tests, I found the solution.

The library I upgraded from 3.5 doesn't seem to be the cause, as I tried this in a new library and I had the same issue. No difference for .RAW (CR2), .JPG or .MOV.

First rebuild your database by following the procedure mentioned by Leonie, and you'll get a new folder "Recovery folder" containing all the pictures you wanted to delete.

Then open the library in iPhoto and delete this Recover Folder in it. Don't forget to empty the trash.

I hope that Apple is going to fix this annoying bug.

Cheers

Aug 6, 2014 12:30 PM in response to DM-17

Did you by any change merge projects after moving images to the Trash, but before emptying the Trash?

iPhoto has a well known bug, causing original image files not to be deleted, if the event/project they came from, has been merged with another event(project), after the image has been moved to the Trash. It looks like Aperture had the same bug. I can reproduce this error in Aperture. When I trash images from a project and then merge this project with another project, and then empty the Trash, the originals will not be deleted (in Aperture 3.5.1).

Aug 8, 2014 2:19 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

I didn't use iPhoto for a long time. I'm mostly using Aperture.

Maybe the bug you're reporting is due to a library used in Aperture now?

As I was surprised that this bug was not impacting a lot of people, I made some further tests.

My conclusion is that my library is not affected, corrupted or whatever. The issue, in my opinion, is due to the fact that I moved the library to another disk.

As a proof, I just moved the managed library back to my ~/Pictures folder and the delete functionality is working like a charm in Aperture...

Aug 11, 2014 5:06 AM in response to DM-17

Hi,

As I want a clean system, I conducted a series of extra tests to understand why the "delete picture version" did not work.

I can now say that it was related to this second volume (disk) I added in my laptop, which had, for an unknown reason, a permissions issue.

Note that it's impossible to automatically check the volume permissions on a non-bootable partition!

The impact of this permission problem is that the Trash is not working on this volume.

I'm sorry that Aperture didn't mention this (delete) error anywhere during my troubleshooting, as it could have saved me a lot of time!

So here's how to detect and fix:

• Create a folder or file next to your library on this volume, then try to delete this empty folder/file.
  • At this time, it won't be moved to the Trash, but Finder proposes to delete it directly. Don't.

• First open this other disk volume with Finder using the "Get Info" (CMD-I) and go at the bottom of the window.
  • Enable the option "Ignore ownership on this volume" (your password may be needed to unlock this feature first).
  • Check if the Trash is now working by deleting this empty folder/file. If you did the right operation, it should be placed in the Trash.

Now the permission issue is fixed, try again to delete your pictures from Aperture, and they will be moved automatically to the Trash.

Cheers

Aug 13, 2014 12:13 AM in response to stevebow

So it appears this problem affects network volumes, regardless of whether it is a SMB or AFP share. If I create a fresh library on any local volume (a partition on the built-in HDD) there are no problems with Aperture deleting the original files for real from the HD. However if I create a fresh library on a network share, the original files are not deleted when the Aperture trash is emptied. This is all using managed originals.

I don't see this problem with iTunes (where I also have my library stored on a network share) - iTunes really deletes files when it says it will. As you'd expect.

So I guess this is an issue with Aperture when its library is stored on network volumes.

deleting in aperture does not delete from disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.