Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos deleted by iPhoto via subfolders- now they can not be found

I deleted photos in various folders after they were put there by iphoto when the folder was created. I deleted the photos after reading iphoto WILL NOT permantly delete photos from the main library.

The photos are stored on a large 3T hard drive. Sometimes it is hare to even locate files via finder- I do not know why the spinning wheel just spins forever and wont open the folder.

Anyway- if there is a series of phtos taken DSC001, DSC002 etc all the way to DSC009.

so now that I have deleted photos in a sub folder- they do not show in the main PHOTO library. They also do not show in finder when I perform a search.

So first I'd like to locate and put my iphoto library as it was. I have already done all a couple complete "rebuilds" via the iphoto option. Nothing has changed- photos still missing.

After I hopefully find my missing photos (of my childred etc) I'd like to move all photos to aperature.
So- what is the best way to move the entire library to apperature and set it up to manage my photos from here on out?

What measures do I have to take to protect my photos in the future from losing them in aperature?

Thanks so much for any help.

Peace-

Jeff

iphoto11 is being used

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5), MAC TOWER G5 with

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 4:00 PM

13 replies

Apr 11, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Old Toad

That view is the Photos mode with Event names set to be viewed. It's viewing the same photos that you would be seeing in the Event mode.

Any photos in that window that are moved to the iPhoto trash and the trash bin emptied via the iPhoto ➙ Empty iPhoto Trash menu option will be removed from the library and moved to the Trash bin in the Dock. To remove from the hard drive one must also empty the Trash bin in the Dock.

If you've deleted from the Photos mode and emptied both the iPhoto and Dock Trash bins the photos are gone.

You're best bet is to restore the library from a backup make just prior to the deletions.

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or from the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

Apr 11, 2014 6:16 PM in response to hotrod325

several things

1 - both Aperture and iPhoto use the exact same database structure and can share a database

2 - Both Aperture and iPhoto require that the database (the library) be on a volume formatted Mac OS extended (journaled)

3 - Both Aperture and iPhoto require that you NEVER make changes to the database using the finder or other program - you only make changes using the program

4 - In both if you delete properly using the program and empty the iPhoto trash and then the system trash then the photos are gone (there is an obscure bug that if you delete photos and then merge events in iPhoto and then empty the iPhoto trash they are not deleted properly - so do not do that - and if you do you still do not use the finder to delete them or you corrupt your library)

5 - as to reliability - both program are very reliable - and if a user makes a user error and make changes to their libraries using the findr then they have problems

6 - With any computer things will fail - if you do not have a good current backup then you simply are tempting fate and you will lose your photos and other files sooner or later - not having a backup is a very bad idea

So bottom line is that with any program if you misuse it it wlll not work properly

LN

Apr 11, 2014 6:31 PM in response to LarryHN

Just hooked up a 3TB back up drive. So I agree with you. Been wanting to do this for a while.

A friend is coming over to help me make sure all my settings are good and show me a few things.

I REALLY appreciate your help. I know have a better understanding of things.

Good Karma to you and have a wonderful weekend!

Peace,

Jeff

Apr 14, 2014 9:08 AM in response to hotrod325

Yeah, it's probably a formatting issue. Item 5 in Larry's link will walk you though formatting your drive.

Also, keep in mind that one drives really only half of what you need for a good backup plan. You need a second drive that you can store off-site. What good is a backup drive is your home burns down? You already know the sinking feeling you get in your gut when your photos suddenly disappear. Don't let that happen to you if you have a catastrophic loss: fire, theft, etc.

Photos deleted by iPhoto via subfolders- now they can not be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.