Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to deal with .AVI files on export

I transcoded 720x480 .avi file (a type final cut X does not accept so I suppose it is of the T1 type) to PRORES 422 with PAVTUBE HD CONVERTER. The transcoded image shows parts of image at the edges not revealed in the original files, and faces are narrower (I can't tell which of the 2 versions are actually distorted, but I suppose the transcoded version is actually without destortion since it shows entire image...). The exported .MOV clip of the edited version seems somewhat worse quality than source file (quality on source file is already a bit mediocre...). Some parts of image seem more ''out of focus''. The source file is:

DV, 720 × 480 (640 × 480), Millions

DV, Stereo, 48,000 kHz

When I bring it to FINAL CUT X, the default settings are 720 X 480 DV 29.97i. Since the project is already interlaced, I don't know how to de-interlace the clip. I don't even know if it would make a positive difference...

I don't have COMPRESSOR.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 8:32 PM

7 replies

Apr 12, 2014 7:38 AM in response to marcsoucie

marcsoucie wrote:

MPEG streamclip does not support the type of AVI file ...

… a superb example, what 'media wrapper' means 😉

AVIs, historically, could contain litterally all sorts of codecs & mixtures.

Allthough I miss the question in your original post - you successfully converted it into something readable for FCPX? it's probably easier and faster, to 'distort'/transform your video in FCPX, than with juggling any settings in any converter tool .. if this is your problem.

Apr 12, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

this is my original question:

I transcoded 720x480 .avi file (a type final cut X does not accept so I suppose it is of the T1 type) to PRORES 422 with PAVTUBE HD CONVERTER. The transcoded image shows parts of image at the edges not revealed in the original files, and faces are narrower (I can't tell which of the 2 versions are actually distorted, but I suppose the transcoded version is actually without destortion since it shows entire image...). The exported .MOV clip of the edited version seems somewhat worse quality than source file (quality on source file is already a bit mediocre...). Some parts of image seem more ''out of focus''. The source file is:

DV, 720 × 480 (640 × 480), Millions

DV, Stereo, 48,000 kHz

When I bring it to FINAL CUT X, the default settings are 720 X 480 DV 29.97i. Since the project is already interlaced, I don't know how to de-interlace the clip. I don't even know if it would make a positive difference...

tragic thing is: I tried importing those files directly on the Final cut 7 (express I think) in a community television and it works !!

I don't have COMPRESSOR.

Apr 12, 2014 8:15 AM in response to marcsoucie

marcsoucie wrote:

MPEG streamclip does not support the type of AVI file I have.

That's very surprising to me.

As Karsten said, AVI is a container that can have many different formats – codecs, frame rates, and so forth.

But just to say that I just apened a DV/DVCPRO NTSC AVI in Streamclip and it opened without any issues.

Russ

How to deal with .AVI files on export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.