Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i transfer itunes playlists from one computer to another?

My old PC with Windows XP and iTunes died for good. Luckily library and playlists were save on and external hard drive shortly before.My newer Dell vostro 1520 laptop has Windows 7 and wish to instal my playlists from my external hard drive into a new iTunes 11.1.5.5. The library is too large to hold on the computer so must remain on my external drive and I've made the link in preferences. The iTunes I was using when I saved it was an older version (if there is a way to find out from the files I haven't found it). I wish to know how to transfer my extensive number of playlists, folders, and track allotment and order from my external drive to my Dell. I could experiment with moving the playlist folder but I have the knack for screwing up my system and that I would like to avoid.

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 5:50 AM

Copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder from the old computer (or backup of the old computer) to the new comuter.

If the ENTIRE iTunes folder will not fit on the drive of the new computer, simply leave it on the external drive. There is nothing in iTunes that is changed or needs to be changed. While holding SHIFT, launch iTunes. When prompted to create new or choose an existing iTunes library, select the option to choose and point iTunes to the location of the iTunesLibrary.itl file on the external drive.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2014 5:50 AM in response to flyview

Copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder from the old computer (or backup of the old computer) to the new comuter.

If the ENTIRE iTunes folder will not fit on the drive of the new computer, simply leave it on the external drive. There is nothing in iTunes that is changed or needs to be changed. While holding SHIFT, launch iTunes. When prompted to create new or choose an existing iTunes library, select the option to choose and point iTunes to the location of the iTunesLibrary.itl file on the external drive.

Apr 12, 2014 4:02 PM in response to diesel vdub

All the tracks within the playlists have a unconnected mark preceding. Is it possible for the playlists to be transferred with the tracks connected provided the library has not been altered (which it hasn't)? I noticed that the iTunes folder in reserve had one more folder (Previous iTunes Libraries) and two files (iT.tmp & Temp File.tmp) than the original iTunes file. Would this interfere?

Apr 12, 2014 7:12 PM in response to flyview

My perdicament is my XP PC with an older version of iTunes died minutes after I saved my library to an external drive. On a newer PC, I then loaded the new iTunes and hooked up my library that is too large to hold on the computer. On iTunes my extensive list of playlists is there but the tracks in every playlist have the unconnected mark on the left. I would like to hear a method of connecting them in one fell swoop (or near to) and avoid the hours upon hours it would take to connect them individually.

Apr 13, 2014 12:48 AM in response to flyview

Here are typical layouts for the iTunes folders:

User uploaded file

Since things are already broken it might be best to create this layout first then use FindTracks to repair things. Ideally you would have a complete clone of the library on a second drive as a backup. You would have the library folder at the root of the drive and the media folder inside it. Connect to the library by shift-starting iTunes. If everything is in the normal layout iTunes may be able to heal itself if you attempt to get info and locate a missing file when prompted. Otherwise you would direct the script to start its search from ..\iTunes\iTunes Media.

tt2

How do i transfer itunes playlists from one computer to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.