Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound in Bootcamp Windows 8.1

Hi.

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on my Macbook Pro, late 2011 model and ran the Bootcamp software. Everything works great except there is no audio playing at all, I have an X mark on the volume control, troubleshooting results in a 'A recent hardware might have not been detected' I have no Sound, video and gaming controllers' in the Device Manager, there is 'High Definition Audio Controller' in the Device Settings, though has a warning sign on it, I checked it and tried to update the driver but it says that it's the latest one installed. I had tried to re-run the Bootcamp drivers software and downloaded the Realtek audio drivers from the internet, but it still not working, though a Realtek High Definition Audio driver is now detected in the Device Manager, but not working, it has an warning sign too, When I try to run the troubleshooter it says that Realtek High Definition Audio has a driver problem.

Please help me, this is so frustrating.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 12:40 AM

25 replies

Nov 9, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Prince Gumball

i mean that it's impossible to make original sound work on windows 8.1.Downgrade is wiser.Otherwise, you need a USB sound card that plugged in to make sound work.

Apr 17, 2014 7:35 PM in response to Prince Gumball

I am having the same annoying issue on my early 2011 macbook pro. I ran the bootcamp and realtek drivers, I even ran the cirrus drivers. I went to my cloned image of my windows 7 bootcamp install and tried to swap the driver files by hand and that did nothing except fixed a screen brightness issue. After installing windows 8.1 twice I have had no luck. Thanks Mr.Cook.

May 29, 2014 8:28 PM in response to Prince Gumball

I was thinking about upgrading my entry level MBP 13" late 2011 to the top of the line rMBP 15 late 2013 for gaming, I thought I could install Windows and run any game just fine without losing the OS X experience. I had no issues before with Bootcamp with Windows 8 x64 back when I had Lion. Now I'll just buy a Razer Blade and ditch Apple.

Sadly, once I installed 8.1 x64 on my current MBP with Mavericks, I've had every single possible issue with a laptop that according to Apple supports Windows 8.1, first I couldn't create an install usb drive without first burning the .iso file to a DVD, which was possible before Mavericks. I don't have a DVD with Windows 8.1, since I received the OS through dreamspark, so I come to think, what if I buy the rMBP that lacks a DVD drive? I found a way to get the option to create the install drive from a .iso file, attempted to install, then had an issue with the partition created by Bootcamp, Windows wouldn't let me install in that partition, nor I could erease it then use it with the tools of the install setup. So I went to disk utility, deleted the partition, and left that as free space, booted back to the setup, and finally installed Windows by creating an NTFS partition at the free space. After I installed Windows, and installed the drivers provided by Apple, I had no sound, the driver was not working, and spent 3 days actively looking for a solution online, tried a lot, none work. Finally uninstalled Windows 8.1, I'm using VM Ware now, but gaming is not the same on a virtual machine.

I thought Bootcamp had real support, this is not the case. Razer Blade, here I come!

Jun 24, 2014 1:29 AM in response to davl3232

I am having the exact same issue that you described! This is just utterly RIDICULOUS and DISGUSTING! And NO SUPPORT, NO UPDATES, NO HELP from anyone! Yes, I'm very p1ssed, I'm having this issue for almost a year now! I cannot install Windows 8.1 through bootcamp because the installer recognizes the hybrid MBR that bootcamp created and forbids proceeding. If I get rid of the hybrid MBR and try to install it natively, then Windows setup works perfectly, but the sound does not work at all as you described, no luck with ANY driver. I'm stuck. No, don't tell me to use Parallels or VMware! I tried those! I need real native windows for my work! Do something about it already! I bought this Macbook from Apple because I thought they are quality products with excellent support. Clearly I was wrong! I am extremely disappointed! I have a MacBookPro8,1 (13-inch, Earchly 2011).

Jun 24, 2014 1:45 AM in response to Csound1

More information about the drivers that I also tried as the rest of they guys here:

No Audio Boot Camp Windows 8

I tried Bootcamp audio drivers from Bootcamp 5.0.5033, 5.1.5621, 5.1.5640.

I also tried to install Realtek and Cirrus logic drivers that I could find manually, also with the ones in the other thread.

Anyhow, not me or anybody could make this work as it seems.

Sorry for the 'yelling' its just the sound of complete hopelessness and it is against the ignorance for this problem, it is not meant for you.

No sound in Bootcamp Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.