Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync'd and lost photo albums - help!

I sync'd my iPad Air with my PC before leaving home and added several Albums to my Photos. I do not have the photos in these albums on my Laptop. I took some photos on my camera, created a folder on my laptop and copied these new pics into it. I then sync'd my iPad using my laptop and iTunes with the intent of copying the new folder of pics to the iPad (I selected just that folder in the iTunes sync for Photos). The sync did copy this folder to my iPad as a new album, but it also deleted all of the albums I put on the iPad from my home PC. How can I get them back? I do not have an iCloud backup....

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 3:11 AM

That is the danger of syncing with two different computers given the way that iTunes syncs photos.

When you sync with photo folders specified in iTunes it places just those folders on the iPad and deletes any other synced folders. You must always specify all the folders in iTunes, even the ones that are already there.

You can restore the lost folders from your PC when you return home. Note that you will lose the folder from your laptop when you do this if you don't copy that folder from your laptop to your PC first.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2014 3:11 AM in response to MDK3800

That is the danger of syncing with two different computers given the way that iTunes syncs photos.

When you sync with photo folders specified in iTunes it places just those folders on the iPad and deletes any other synced folders. You must always specify all the folders in iTunes, even the ones that are already there.

You can restore the lost folders from your PC when you return home. Note that you will lose the folder from your laptop when you do this if you don't copy that folder from your laptop to your PC first.

Sync'd and lost photo albums - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.