Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deauthorizing the "dead" computer

Okay, So I still have have my old computer that I haven't deauthorized for three years and about 20 minutes ago i tried to deauthorize it by reinstalling the itunes. Reason is before giving the old computer to one of my family member, the family member just deleted itunes, not realizing that you have deauthorize it.

So, when I was trying to deauthorize the computer, the computer died.

I looked into it and you can deauthorize the old computer by contacting the Apple Support to deauthorize the old computer or deauthorizing all of the computers.

Also, just wondering if I deauthorize all the computers, that means I'll lose all of the itunes content that are in the computer that I'm using right now? And when I authorize itunes on the computer that i'm using right now I'll get all of my contents back right?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, I love Apple.

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 6:21 AM

Deauthorizing does not cause loss of content. However, many other things do, so you should keep your content backed up at all times.

If the computer is dead, there is no way to deauthorize it. But when you hit the limit, you can use the Deauthorize All button as pictured below. Then just reauthorize the ones you are still using.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2014 6:21 AM in response to Mathsminds95

Deauthorizing does not cause loss of content. However, many other things do, so you should keep your content backed up at all times.

If the computer is dead, there is no way to deauthorize it. But when you hit the limit, you can use the Deauthorize All button as pictured below. Then just reauthorize the ones you are still using.

User uploaded file

Deauthorizing the "dead" computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.