Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Retina) freezes using Thunderbolt and USB hub

My MBPro freezes directly when starting up with Thunderbolt display, Thunderbolt ethernet and USB hub connected. I've tried several situations where USB hub was connected and Thunderbolt disconnected and vice versa, all gave the same result. Starting up without all these connections gives no problem.

Already tried resetting the system management controller (SMC) and resetting NVRAM and PRAM. Nothing helps.

MacBook Pro Retina

2,3 Ghz i7

16Gb

OS X 10.9.2

Start up without any active connections and connecting them once the start up is completed gives no problems so I'll get along but it would be nice not having to worry about when to plug in the connections.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Grtz!
Martijn

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 16Gb

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 5:09 AM

9 replies

Apr 13, 2014 11:22 PM in response to MZey71

It concerns a 7 ports Belkin power USB 2.0 hub. If it was not clear enough; the problem exists even without the sub hub being connected at start up. With any of the 3 connections (Thunderbolt ethernet, thunderbolt display adapter and USB hub) active at start up, the freeze occurs. without them starting up creates no problem.

Thx,

Martijn

Apr 14, 2014 2:36 AM in response to MZey71

I have an HP display connected via Thunderbolt DVI adapter. Not an Apple Thunderbolt display 🙂.

The USB hub is connected on my single USB port on the MBP. As I said, If any of the three conections is connected to the MBP during start-up the system freezes. If disconnected, starting up is no problem.

Hope this clearifies.

Martijn

Apr 14, 2014 3:18 AM in response to MZey71

Ah! When you wrote "Thunderbolt display" I thought you meant Apple's "Thunderbolt Display"!

I would say that you've bad Thunderbolt ports, but because you get system freezes on your USB port, too. The only thing that I can think of is that there's something wrong on your logic board affecting the ports. If I were you, I would take the whole kit to your local Apple Store or AASP and have them run diagnostics.

But first I would at least try an SMC reset - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 - as well as a NVRAM reset -> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379. Resetting both likely won't solve the problem, but it can sometimes help.

Good luck,

Clinton

Macbook Pro (Retina) freezes using Thunderbolt and USB hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.