Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can photos stored on Time Capsule be used by a (photo displaying) screensaver on a MacBook via a wireless connection? If so, how.

Before purchasing a Time Capsule, I'm curious if photos stored on it can be used by a screensaver on my MacBook (running 10.6.8). This woud be via a wireless connection. I simply do not have enough memory on the MacBook. If so, can they only be accessed by the MacBook's proprietery screensaver? Will other apps with a photo screensaver be able to use the stored photos on Time Capsule aas well? Bonus question... can an Ipad Air do the same... simultaneously?

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:49 PM

There is no doubt you can.

When you say photos stored on it.. in what form are these photos?? Is this your iphoto library?

If so using iphoto library on the TC has risks.. not necessarily viewing photos .. that should be fine. But if you have photos you are editing and wireless comms drop out leaving the library with a file open, it is likely to corrupt your library. Please check with the iphoto people on the discussion board if you want to go ahead for the dangers of using iphoto on any network drive.

The TC is not designed as a NAS .. in particular it cannot back itself up, nor can Time Machine backup the TC. So any files on the TC are at risk. If you manage to corrupt the iphoto library without a current backup... does that worry you??

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2014 1:49 PM in response to neal5757

There is no doubt you can.

When you say photos stored on it.. in what form are these photos?? Is this your iphoto library?

If so using iphoto library on the TC has risks.. not necessarily viewing photos .. that should be fine. But if you have photos you are editing and wireless comms drop out leaving the library with a file open, it is likely to corrupt your library. Please check with the iphoto people on the discussion board if you want to go ahead for the dangers of using iphoto on any network drive.

The TC is not designed as a NAS .. in particular it cannot back itself up, nor can Time Machine backup the TC. So any files on the TC are at risk. If you manage to corrupt the iphoto library without a current backup... does that worry you??

Apr 12, 2014 2:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks. My thought was/is to use a TC to store archives of photos that I won't be editing anymore, but want to 'display' via the screensaver. They'd be backed up files/folders of photos that weren't imported into an iphoto library.

Since there's always the urge to edit, I'm thankful to hear your advice not to edit from the TC.

I used to have a photo screensaver I preferred to the native one offered on my MacBook, but even if I don't find one, knowing this will work is great to know.

Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2014 2:00 PM in response to neal5757

you need to decide what you want your TC to do

it is supposed to be an easy backup device, and in that role, it gets a solid B+/A- but in this role, it will not serve any files, it is just a backup destination

if you want it to act like an active external drive where it will serve files like a nas, it gets a solid D, just too many issues and possible troubleshooting steps to be worth it imho

Can photos stored on Time Capsule be used by a (photo displaying) screensaver on a MacBook via a wireless connection? If so, how.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.