Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Update error 2753

I ran into issues getting a customer's 24" inch iMac 6_1 (2007) to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 with a stop at Vista along the way to preserve programs.

The Vista to Windows 7 jump failed and rolled back to Vista so some of the steps needed were:

1. Upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6
  2. Update Vista to Vista SP2
  3. Upgrade to Boot Camp 3.0 (boot into Vista and open the Snow Leopard DVD) - NOTE: other updates won't work without 3.0.

Then it got fun.

I downloaded the 3.1 updater form teh Boot Camp downloads offered by Apple.(http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents)

Trying to update Boot Camp drivers to 3.1 gave the error:

"Boot Camp Services: The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753."

Some solutions said to reinstall BootCamp but Boot Camp was not found in the "Programs and Features" control panel.

I was also told that deleting c:\windows\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe (maybe renaming it would do?) would bypass this error but this file was not present.

Faulty install from teh OS 10.6 DVD? (copying the files and folders from DVD to local disk may work better. Didn't try)

On an act of desperation I booted into Vista and ran START > Programs > Apple Software Update and Apple Software Update knew 3.0 was installed!

It was able to update just fine.

After reboot, "Apple Application Support" and "Boot Camp services" were listed in Programs and Features.

Boot Camp control panel was listed, but would not launch "Application not found."

Apple Software Update offered me Boot Camp 3.1 again, so I'm going to try the 3.2 updater from the downloads page. (May try to "Repair" Boot Camp 3.1 from Programs and Features" control panel as well)

Also note there is a Windows 7 upgrade utility/patch offered there for anyone moving from Vista.

Maybe this was an obvious fix for the 2753, but I might save others ten minutes.

Meta search terms:

(missing absent add remove programs control panel corrupted installer see can't cannot find faulty failed failure partial vista windows bootcamp upgrade 3.2 update updater)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 6:52 AM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2014 4:15 AM in response to Bill Jacobs2

Critical to the Vista - 7 upgrade was disabling startups and services that were not Microsoft.

The Win 7 was booting for teh first time and choking on one of these services.

After 7 succeeded, I did a complete backup, updated windows completely and started adding back the services. Nothing vital seemed to kill it. The updates may have been important but you can't get to them if the initial upgrade fails because of teh service-related crashes.

After that, I fixed audio with the Realtek drivers.

The Magic Mouse still isn't working, but maybe I can write back with that since the web lit is dicey.

Boot Camp Update error 2753

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.