Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using my Time Machine backup on my Brother Macbook

Hi guys/girls.

My brother HD recently died on his Macbook Pro (15" Mid 2009 I think) he has fitted a new HD to the machine and all if running fine. I just want to know if I use my saved Time Machine can I import that onto his mac? He is running 10.6.8 and i'm running a Mid 2012 13" 10.8.5. Sorry if this has been covered i'm new to the Time Machine function.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 7:12 AM

1 reply

Apr 12, 2014 7:14 AM in response to MichaelSeary

You can, but you should not. The way to restore your Time Machine backup to your brother's Mac is by using Migration Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities), but you are using a later OS X version than your brother. If you restore a backup using Migration Assistant, you will damage OS X in your brother's computer.

In order to restore one of your backups safely, your brother should upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion or OS X Mavericks. See > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade

Using my Time Machine backup on my Brother Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.