Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple directions to format PLEASE!

I am doing a simple Income/Expense spreadsheet for my small business, I am an artist. I have it set up like a checkbook. The second last column is the amount I spent or took in, the final column a running balance. How do I get the final column to add/subtract? Please explain in simple terms, I am not familiar with formatting. Here's a screenshot. How do I get the balance running in Column G. Thank you!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 10:29 AM

7 replies

Apr 12, 2014 11:04 AM in response to Kappy

I'm sorry Kappy, if you felt that I was abusing this support community. I have used the Help menu and tried to follow the information but nothing I am trying is successful. Probably because I'm not even sure what to call this to look it up and, I don't understand the explanations of formulas and choosing functions, if that is even what I am supposed to do. I was hoping that I was complicating this and that there was an easy solution as I seem to be unable to figure it out on my own.

Apr 12, 2014 11:17 AM in response to deariedo

Look up equations or basic add and subtract. Basic stuff in spreadsheets. All formulas start with the "=" sign, such as, "=A1+B1". You must provide the cells used in the formula. This is all covered in the Help files for the spreadsheet.

Part of using the spreadsheet is the investment of time to learn how. That takes time and some searching or manual reading, etc. The following is available directly at Apple's site.

Numbers Help for Mac

The forums are intended to help users with technical problems they have with either Apple hardware or software. But not to teach users how to use their software. Here are some older manuals:

Numbers '09 - User Guide

iWork '09 Formulas and Functions User Guide

Apr 13, 2014 6:33 AM in response to deariedo

Hi deariedo,

Thanks for the green tick. Glad to help.

My screen shot is from Numbers 3.2 under Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2. My eagle eye tells me that your screen shot is also from Numbers 3.x

Your profile shows Mac OS X 10.6.8. Not possible if you are running Numbers 3.x 🙂

To make it easy to answer other questions you may have, please update your profile to show which versions of operating system and apps on your machine.

Regards,

Ian.

Simple directions to format PLEASE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.