Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How best to go about recovering data from Drive that can't be repaired

Hi,

My Imac HD is corrupted and it cannot be repaired and it says to restore /backup files.

I need to try and salvage my music folders. I have have just purchased a new Imac, can I use that as an external HD to connect to the old imac and transfer files? Can Target Disc Mode work if I purchase a Firewire cable? I'm tired and confused as to the best and most simple way to salvage some of my data.

My old Imac: Mountain Lion 10.8.5, 4gb ram, 2.4ghz core........I'm a noob and out of my depth and frankly my head is spinning.

I think I have several options but I'm unsure.

When I turn on the old Imac, I can get to Disc Utility if I the hold option key, I have verified and tried to repair.

What is the simplest way or ways to salvage this problem.

Thanks

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 7:32 AM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2014 9:19 AM in response to StamfordBrook

Hello StamfordBrook,

Target Disk mode is likely to be your best option with regard to transferring any data from the old mac to the new Mac. Both of your iMacs, however, have Thunderbolt ports rather than FireWire ports, and will require a Thunderbolt cable. Putting the old iMac into Target Disk Mode and connecting the systems will cause the old iMac to appear as an external hard drive on the new Mac.

OS X Mavericks: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13842

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD861ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m?fnode=5 1

Cheers,

Allen

Apr 14, 2014 11:05 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

Thankyou for your reply. I misinformed you, my 21" Imac is a 2008 2.4ghz Intel Core duo model with two Firewire ports on the back, no Thunderbolt ports. My new 2012 27" Imac is Thunderbolt but no Firewire. So my initial question was wrong as the two machines cannot enter Target Disk mode if they cannot connect via their differing ports.

Is there any other option open to me? Can I somehow install OS X on an external HD and then connect that to the old Imac, I must say the optical drive on the old Imac does not work but i have an external Samsung optical drive which has worked fine previously installing Logic from a Logic disk etc.

So could I connect an external HD to my new Imac 27", then format external HD and then install OS X on it? If this is possible could I then connect this to the old Imac, boot and hold option key and use Disc Utility to transfer data from the corrupted hd to the external HD?

Excuse the newb questions?

Apr 14, 2014 11:26 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann87,

I connected my WD Mybook Essential extarnal HD to my old Imac specifically to use Time Machine to back up my data. I had used it for this task many times. Whilst connected to my old Imac the WD Mybook was not working properly. I incorrectly went to the WD site and downloaded a driver\file/updater and restarted my Imac. That was when the problems started. I then had to boot into Disc Utility and verify disc and repair disc at which point I was informed that I needed to back up data etc, corrupted, etc.

So it was in the process of backing up that this misfortune happened to me. I also have stored backup data on a thumbdrive and for the last four years i have always had my music collection backed up there and when I actually needed this backup that folder was no longer on my thumbdrive but all the other data such as photos was. BAdluck. I was surprised at the odds for this happening in the sequence it happened.

Luckily today Beatport informed me I could re-download much of my EDM music collection so it could be worse.

You are of course correct in making secure back-ups and I will look into using an external HD or SSD and clone my new Imac's drive, etc.

Thankyou

Apr 14, 2014 2:00 PM in response to StamfordBrook

StamfordBrook,

This would absolutely be an option, and serves the added bonus of leaving you with a hard drive that can be used for Time Machine once you've transferred everything to the new computer.

OS X: Installing OS X on an external volume

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5911

Once started from the external drive, I would recommend simply transferring what files possible to the drive that you've just installed Mac OS X on, then connecting it to the new system and ferrying the files that way. Once complete, you can erase the drive and utilize it for backups.

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

Alternatively, you could use a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter to connect the two systems, one in Target Disk Mode, however this will require a FireWire cable, a Thunderbolt cable, and the adapter.

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapte r

All my best,

Allen

How best to go about recovering data from Drive that can't be repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.