Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone speaker not working while making or receiving calls

Pl help me out.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 9:13 AM

12 replies

Apr 13, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Howcanihelpit

I've had similar issues. Sometimes it seems that the phone gets confused and thinks the headphones are plugged it. I've solved the problem by trying different combinations of plugging in the headphones and restarting the phone with the plug in shutting down and pulling the plug out and booting. Keep trying different combinations of this. I never determined the exact procedure that solved the problem but toying around like this usually solved the problem.

Apr 13, 2014 5:02 PM in response to stvhemi

I think a bug got in my phone when I opened a link that my sister sent to me via email to listen to a Public Radio lecture which was previously recorded. I did not use my headphones. Everything was fine until the sound cut out 10 minutes into the lecture. I worked with tech support through my phone provider and tried everything to fix it. I even cleared the phone back to factory setting and reloaded everything back via iCloud but I'm thinking that all I did was reload the bug right back onto the phone. We tried all the other fixes before doing that.

Apr 14, 2014 9:29 AM in response to Satish4

if it were mine, at this point I would presume the speaker has died. when I think about how small those things are and how much noise they put out i can only imagine there has to be some sort of failure rate.

Im curious. You have two speakers in your phone. one for talking on the phone and the speaker phone. do both of those not work or just the external speaker?

Mar 2, 2015 8:24 PM in response to Satish4

This same problem happened to me on a 4S where I told the receiver speaker was broken and ended up replacing it with the current 5S. Eight month later the same problem happened to the 5S and technical support told me I needed to restore the information stored on my phone. The speaker volume or mute control function would nit resolve the problem, nor would shutting the phone off and rebooting. Reluctant to do the restore and risk losing ringtone, music, photos and etc., I finally discover the cause and simplest fix. The problem originates in the voicemail feature when listening to a voicemail message on the loudspeaker and exiting without switching back to the receiver speaker. The receiver will remain turned off. You must return to the voicemail feature and listen to a message on the loud speaker and switch back to the normal receiver speaker. When you hear it from the receiver private speaker, you can safely exit back to phone mode and your phone should work fine again.

I have asked Apple to fix their software glitch.

Good luck to all!

Iphone speaker not working while making or receiving calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.