Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" Macbook Pro Retina vs NonRetina?

I was considering getting myself a new 13" macbook pro with retina display, but since I cant really afford the configuration with the 256gb SSD and the 8 gb RAM because of the insanely high prices theyre sold at here, im pretty much stuck with the 128 Gb with the 4gb RAM. My question is should I not get the retina model and go for the normal non-retina model instead? the non-retina model I could get would be the 4gb RAM with the 500gb HDD, the main reason why I havent decided on the retina right away is the whole upgradability thing, I dont want to spend a hefty amount of money on a new retina pro and then apple release a new software update that would slow down my computer and I'd be stuck, not being able to upgrade to better specs. So should I not worry about this whole thing and just go for the retina or do OS updates slow down the computer which means that im going to have to upgrade my RAM eventually?

Thanks!

PS: im not what you would call a "heavy" user.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 11:14 AM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Swailem95

First, it depends on your budget. Once you know what you can work with the next thing to consider is the type of applications you are planning to run on your MBP. I can tell you that I was in a similar delimma about a month ago. I went for the MBPR because the applications I run are cpu demanding. Also, SSDs load times are much faster than HDDs. There's a link below to a video for thought. If you are not using high performance applications, then make your selection accordingly. The Macbook Air (MBA) comes with a 13" option and the entire MBA family has been updated with outstanding performance capabilites. Just a little FYI as you may already know though the MBAs starts at a lower price point than the MBPs. Since the MBPRs are running the lastest OS X software you shouldn't experience any system drags with the upcoming OS X updates. Hope that helps 🙂

HDD vs. SSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2_Jwq3UdyA

Apr 12, 2014 12:29 PM in response to Swailem95

Swailem95 wrote:

PS: im not what you would call a "heavy" user.

Well, I am a heavy user and I have an older MacBook Pro 15" with a regular HD (not SSD) and non-Retina display. And it's great for me. If you aren't a heavy user, you should be buying more on price and future flexibility, rather than the highest current performance.

Yes, the HD is not as fast as an SSD. But by buying a non-Retina MacBook Pro, we are free to install an SSD and more RAM later as our budgets allow. Both moves would make the machine faster for the future.

If you buy the SSD Retina now, you pay more for less storage and you have no option to upgrade later.

Apr 13, 2014 2:30 PM in response to Swailem95

Yes, you could solve it that way too, as long as it works with your budget. The problem is that with the Retina model, if you ever want a RAM upgrade you must order it now, when you buy the machine new, because no RAM upgrades are available after purchase. That is part of what makes the Retina models harder to budget for initially.

With the non-Retina models I would buy a lower spec at the beginning to save money, and add upgrades after the price of RAM and drives would drop a few months later. That is no longer possible with the Retina models.

13" Macbook Pro Retina vs NonRetina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.