Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install Mavericks from the App Store if I erased my HD?

My mbp has been acting funny and slow, and I think I may have had some corrupted files. I have my computer backed up to time machine, and additionally I saved all my important files, photos etc to the external HD before I began. Then I erased my HD. Everything I read indicated that since I had installed mavericks previously (and legitimately), I would be able to do so again from disk utility after I finished erasing the HD so long as I had a working Internet connection. Well, I do, but now when I click "Reinstall OS X" I get a screen with Mavericks and then an error message saying, "this is not a supported method of installing the operating system/ please run Install OS X Mavericks.app that you downloaded from the app store." But I erased my hard drive! I really don't want to use my time machine backup because I'm worried some of my files are corrupted, and wouldn't that just put me back in the exact same position?

For the record, it's a late 2010 MBP that originally had Snow Leopard. My boyfriend upgraded it to Mavericks for me a few weeks ago.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 2:15 PM

4 replies

Apr 12, 2014 2:20 PM in response to luxrara

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

Be sure to make a backup first because the following procedure will erase

the drive and everything on it.

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. Be sure you configure your initial admin account with the exact same

username and password that you used on your old drive. After you finish Setup

Assistant will complete the installation after which you will be running a fresh

install of OS X. You can now begin the update process by opening Software

Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

You can then re-download Mavericks from the App Store.

How do I install Mavericks from the App Store if I erased my HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.