Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone: Device is "offline" but rings.

I lost my iPhone 4 yesterday, and usually it isn't a problem because I locate it with the iCloud. I have used it before, but now it says "offline" for the device. I know for a fact it's either at home or (unlikely but this has been an unlikely situation) I dropped it out of the car door right when I got to school and didn't hear the Lifeproof case smacking pavement. So most likely situation is it's somewhere in my home. I call it and it rings, but its on vibrate. Usually I can hear the sound of it vibrating but maybe it's on somethin soft I have no idea (I've looked everywhere). It was fully charged 4 hours beforeI knew I didnt have it anymore. Right when I got to school I figured I left it in my dad's car or at home, but I got home and the app said offline. So for some reason it won't connect to my wifi (which it automtically does) or 3g if it's not home. I even unplugged the router incase my internet was the problem but it didn't help. I'm just baffled and worried I'll never find this phone. Any help?

iPhone 4

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 8:05 PM

Completely agree! I have a similar situation. My iPhone was stolen out of a gym locker room today. The iPhone was turned "off" after the theft, as it went direct to VM when I called from another device - I then logged into "find my iPhone" from another device and set it into lost mode, despite it being turned off and "offline". Lost mode should have initiated once the phone was then turned on, which it since has been, as the phone now fully rings and has even been answered on a few occasions. My fear now is if the thieves have the ability to work around apples top notch security, is my entire phone at risk.

Again, the phone 100% is on but reading "offline" in find my iphone. I unable to locate, shut down or wipe my iPhone as a result of this. I was told by apple support that the thieves could be constantly turning the phone on/off, allowing them to answer the phone, but not be "online" for long enough to register. Given that I called the phone about 50 times in a matter of 2.5 hours, without the phone being "off" on any occasion, I would say this is not a valid reason.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2017 8:05 PM in response to AlabamaFan2016

Completely agree! I have a similar situation. My iPhone was stolen out of a gym locker room today. The iPhone was turned "off" after the theft, as it went direct to VM when I called from another device - I then logged into "find my iPhone" from another device and set it into lost mode, despite it being turned off and "offline". Lost mode should have initiated once the phone was then turned on, which it since has been, as the phone now fully rings and has even been answered on a few occasions. My fear now is if the thieves have the ability to work around apples top notch security, is my entire phone at risk.

Again, the phone 100% is on but reading "offline" in find my iphone. I unable to locate, shut down or wipe my iPhone as a result of this. I was told by apple support that the thieves could be constantly turning the phone on/off, allowing them to answer the phone, but not be "online" for long enough to register. Given that I called the phone about 50 times in a matter of 2.5 hours, without the phone being "off" on any occasion, I would say this is not a valid reason.

Nov 17, 2017 12:13 PM in response to sterling r

This is an absolutely useless and unbelievably pathetic response. Did you even read the statement? The iPhone RINGS which means that it is CLEARLY ON AND connected to a wireless service provider. I am currently having the same problem. So why in the **** would you suggest the basic alternatives when the iPhone is CLEARLY ON AND POWERED UP. If this is the case, there is no reason that the iPhone should be "offline" on Find My iPhone. Please, for the love of God, provide a better answer to this problem.

Oct 4, 2017 1:05 PM in response to lockedgt

I just had the same issue - I "lost" my phone in my house and searched for it using Find iPhone. Find iPhone said it was offline, but when I found it, it was turned on, had a battery charge over 50%, and was connected to the internet. I tried Find iPhone again and it still says "offline". I checked and my phone has the same name as the one in Find iPhone, but I wonder if the phone in Find iPhone is actually an old device with the same name? How can I find this out? I don't want to remove it using Find iPhone because it might disconnect the phone from my Apple account.

Jan 13, 2018 5:44 AM in response to lockedgt

Me Too.

In December I was out for a night and walked home very late. Next day I could not find my phone anywhere, it was in none of the normal or obvious places I leave it. So I tried "find my phone" from my Ipad. Nothing; it was "off line" I could phone it repeatably but heard nothing ringing or vibrating. Later that day I found it in the bathroom; connected to the 3G and the house wifi with plenty of battery. However it's OS was way out of date (8.x) and I dimissed the whole thing as a hiccup due that. But I had been seriously worried I had lost it and was really cursing Apple.

Then, just yesterday, my wife was picking me up from the railway station, and I pulled up "find my wife" on the Iphone, nothing. Her absolutly up-to-date IPhone was offline with last seen back at the house. When she turned up I remaked she had left phone at home to which she replied - no it is in my bag. So it was; lots of battery and 3/4G signal.

So. Two different devices running wildly different version of IOS with same behaviour....

Apr 14, 2014 11:05 AM in response to lockedgt

Hello lockedgt,

It sounds like you are unable to find your phone in Find my iPhone at http://www.icloud.com as it tells you the device is offline. I recommend the following information from the article named:

iCloud: Troubleshooting Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4006

This can occur if:

• Your device is powered off, such as when the battery has run out. Note that the remaining battery for the device, if it's connected to the Internet, displays in the upper-right corner of the information pane of the selected device. You can still play a sound on, send a message to, issue a lock request, or initiate an erase of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. The command will be received after the device is turned on and regains its Internet connection.
  • Your iPhone’s cellular service has been terminated by your wireless service provider. If you contacted your service provider to report your device lost or stolen before locating your phone, and they deactivated your SIM card or account, this would be expected. If this is the case, you may no longer be able to locate, display a message on, or erase your iPhone. For more information, read about what to do if your device is lost or stolen.
  • Your iPad, iPod Touch, or Mac is asleep and not connected to a known Wi-Fi network. You will still be able to request an erase, send a message to display and lock your device, or request that a sound be played. The command will be processed when your device is awakened and connected to the Internet.

If you are unable to locate your phone at all, be sure to follow these steps from the article:

For more information, read about what to do if your device is lost or stolen.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Find My iPhone: Device is "offline" but rings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.