Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone WiFi issue. I enter a password, click join, and get a message back that it is the incorrect password. I have several computers and two other iPhones connected using the same password. Any clues?

iPhone WiFi issue. I enter a password, click join, and get a message back that it is an incorrect password. I have several computers and other iPhones connected using the same password. Any ideas?

iPhone 5c

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:43 PM

3 replies

Apr 14, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Gordo456

Hey there Gordo456,

It sounds like you are not able to join your Wi-Fi network with the correct password on 1 out of many devices. I recommend the troubleshooting from the article named:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. Update your device to the latest version of software.
  3. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2. For AirPort Base Stations, install updates using the AirPort Utility.

If that troubleshooting does not resolve the issue, I would next try these steps from further down the article:

Unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network

1. Verify that you're attempting to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
  2. Make sure you're entering your Wi-Fi password correctly. Passwords may be case sensitive and may contain numbers or special characters.
  3. Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
    • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
    • recently used Bluetooth accessories
    • VPN and APN settings.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Sep 26, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Gordo456

Hi Gordo,

I had the same problem with my new iPhone. No amount of reentering the correct password would solve the problem. I was able to resolve it by changing the Channel on my NetGear WNDR3400 (http://192.168.1.1/start.htm for me) router. It was trial and error and nothing in the forums was helpful. I found that if I changed: Wireless Settings->Channel from "Auto" to a number, the problem goes away.

I figure that the Auto setting implied some negotiation with the phone, and guessed that Apple and Netgear don't entirely see eye to eye on the protocol.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Oct 15, 2015 5:32 PM in response to TomClement

The workaround described did solve the problem for my router, but when I needed to use another one at a public ice skating rink, it failed in the same way. I ended up working with Apple support and they had me completely restore my new iPhone 6s. Apparently, the software originally installed with it had some problem which (even after updating the software) prevented it from working properly.

After restoring the OS, I switched my router back to (Auto) and tried reconnecting from my phone. It worked.

Tom

iPhone WiFi issue. I enter a password, click join, and get a message back that it is the incorrect password. I have several computers and two other iPhones connected using the same password. Any clues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.