Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

takes long time to restart iMac

I just added a Epson printer to my network and ran into a problem with a portion of the software. Called Epson support. The tech asked me to restart my computer. Did that, however, for about 1 hr I've been looking at the spinning ball with the Apple logo on my screen. Is there something else I should be doing?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:59 PM

12 replies

Apr 12, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Barrysb1938

Barry ...

Shut down your Mac by pressing power button down until the screen goes black. Wait ten seconds then turn it back on.

If the Mac starts up as it should, the printer problem may be related to your current Mavericks OS X v10.9.1 (according to your profile).

If that is correct, updating your system software may help the printer problems.

Click Software Update from your Apple  drop down menu top left in your screen.

Latest Mavericks version is v10.9.2.

Apr 12, 2014 4:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Not good news - I attempted to restore OS X but it failed indicating there is a problem with my internal HD. There was some info about using disk utility to repair, but the system took me to installing OS X which is taking about 50 minutes. I'm hoping this will get me back on line but it might be without files because another message said restore from my Time Machine backup. I'm getting a bit concerend about what is going on. Is what is happening the normal routine for this situation?

Apr 12, 2014 7:10 PM in response to Barrysb1938

Reinstalling OS X takes about 45 minutes to an hour on a high speed broadband connection.

I attempted to restore OS X but it failed indicating there is a problem with my internal HD

If the restore fails, shut down your Mac.

Then startup again while holding down the Command + R keys.

From there you can access the built in utilities, "Disk Utility", to repair the startup disk.

takes long time to restart iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.