Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Apple store employees access my apps/photos/safari etc?...

Basically, my ipad mini will not switch on or charge, it will only display this image http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/features/3467293/black-ipad-charging-slowly -main.jpg (except obviously the ios7 version of this image). Having spoken to a couple of Apple online support employees, it seems it is a battery issue as I have tried charging it with a couple of different cables and usb to wall socket adapters, all of which work fine with another ipad mini. Now the ipad is dead (other than the aforementioned image flashing up when the on/home buttons are pressed), will all the data likely have been wiped off? As I am nervous of Genius bar employees/family members who are coming with me to go on safari/notes/photos as there are some *very private* and quite frankly embarrassing things on there... I think you know the point I am hinting at!. Is it likely they will be able to access this in store- will they likely fix the ipad in store or send it away for repair? Obviously they will not access personal apps, e.g. Facebook, Kik, Snapchat etc, would they open photos or safari etc without my permission whilst I was with them or look at my bookmarks/history whilst I was there with them? To be honest I do not care if they access this whilst repairing the device out of the store but could not face them seeing these embarassing items on my device whilst I or my family were there! Sorry for the very long question, I would just like to know;

1) Will there likely be any data left, assuming this is a battery issue?

2) Will Apple be able to fix or replace the battery in store or would the ipad be sent away?

3) Will they browse my photos/notes pages or safari bookmarks/history whilst in store?

Thanks, apologies again for the long-winded post, just want to put my mind at rest/know what to expect.

iPad, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 2:14 PM

7 replies

Apr 13, 2014 4:01 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the reply! I have a feeling that as you say, the ipad will probably not power on in store (it won't at home, so I don't really see why it would in store) and good point- it is almost certainly a hardware issue, so thinking it about it the way you put it, it probably isn't likely they would access the software. Come to think about it, the Apple store is always very busy so as you mentioned, it sounds like the Genius Bar would just be concerned with fixing the ipad/taking our money or replacing it rather than messing about looking at my data and everything I need is synced to itunes anyway, so I could tell them to do a complete wipe/restore if they wanted to!

And oh dear, that incident involving your camera roll and senior citizens doesn't sound good! I guess embarrassing things happen to everybody (and probably quite frequently in the Apple store!)

Thanks again for the reply, I guess I will just have to suck it up and assume that my trip to the Genius Bar hopefully won't be too painful!

Apr 12, 2014 2:37 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for the reply, I have already spoken to Apple online,but they were not exactly clear in their response, and calling/dropping by is not really an option as I am just a teen living with my parents (so depend on them to get to the Apple store!) I was just wondering if any users here would have an idea or any Apple employees/tech experts were around here (as I have seen Apple support replying here before.) Thanks though.

Apr 12, 2014 4:02 PM in response to FreyaHoppe

If your iPad can be powered on, they Genius Bar staff are most likely going to restore it as new. If they can't power it on and the iPad is replaced (either under warranty or as an out of warranty replacement), you will be given a new device and Apple will keep the old one.

Unless the problem is with some part of the software, it seems unlikely that the staff would have any reason to look at your data. Are there employees who might violate company policy and do that? No company is perfect. It's possible, sure. Is it likely? No. And would they publicly admit they had done so by telling the people who came to the store with you? Every Apple Store I've ever been in has been incredibly busy. The staff doesn't appear to have much time for such activities.

It's a safe bet that you are not the first customer who has had embarrasing pictures on their phone or iPad and has been unable to wipe it before getting it replaced. It is unlikely that this will turn into an embarrasining situatuion. Sadly, if i recall correctly, there is no way to completely prevent one's teenaged years from having some truly embarrassing moments. If it's any consolation, adulthood has them, too. We won't go into the unfortunate incident of my mirroring my iPhone Camera Roll on a monitor for a class full of senior citizens. 😊

Apr 13, 2014 3:14 PM in response to FreyaHoppe

FreyaHoppe wrote:

And oh dear, that incident involving your camera roll and senior citizens doesn't sound good! I guess embarrassing things happen to everybody (and probably quite frequently in the Apple store!)

It could have been worse. But I probably turned six shades of red.

Thanks again for the reply, I guess I will just have to suck it up and assume that my trip to the Genius Bar hopefully won't be too painful!

No matter how much they've wanted to, no one ever died of embarrasment. What your parents may do is another matter.

Best of luck.

Will the Apple store employees access my apps/photos/safari etc?...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.