Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible DNS Issue on 2009 Macbook Pro running Mavericks

Okay so this has been going on for nearly a year, I've asked the same question multiple times on multiple boards and have received absolutely no help. I would greatly appreciate it if someone has any insight to my issue..

July 2013 - moved into a new apartment with Time Warner Cable, had no issues

August 2013 - moved into a new, larger house with Time Warner Cable and had severe internet outage issues at random times throughout the day/week. I was using a router-modem combo and this seemed to be inadequate for my house size. I bought a new router that is capable of handling multiple devices over a large square footage. I thought the router was my main problem, and this new router seemed to solve my issues until January of this year. I'm still have intermittent internet outages, but this main issue occurs when my Internet is working on all other devices.

Fast forward to a few months ago and certain webpages won't load, usually those I haven't visited before or not regularly (youtube.com, netflix.com, even apple.com). Someone suggested I change to Google DNS or Open DNS. Tried Google first, seemed to work for 5 mins, then problem started again. Have since changed to OpenDNS. This fix seemed to last longer, about an hour, before the same issues (though, admittedly to fewer sites). I still can't watch youtube videos, at all, can't get the Netflix homepage to load and can't watch movies at all. This occurs over all browsers on my Mac - Safari, Firefox, Chrome. I receive an "empty response" error from Chrome, the others it just won't load. Occasionally if a webpage seems to be "loading" (fast loading signal vs. slow) but hasn't shown up, I can occasionally hit the "x" and then the webpage appears, completely loaded. This is hit or miss, though, working about 50% of the time. For Youtube and Netflix, for instance, this never works, but for some forum sites it will.

All of my software is up to date. I've messed with countless internet and router settings based on suggestions (changing DNS, ensuring I'm on a channel with little interference, deleted old networks that I no longer use, etc.) and NOTHING works. I'm about fed up with my Mac and ready to get a PC. I have no issues with my PC laptop at home, no issues with my iPhone, no issues with streaming wirelessly from my Bluray player, and no issues with my iPad. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 6:37 PM

5 replies

Apr 12, 2014 7:06 PM in response to jaclight

I know how frustrating a problem like this can be, and it's a bear to diagnose sometimes. One thing to try... in System Preferences / Network, choose your wireless network, then click Advanced. Go to the hardware tab and in the MTU section choose Custom and set it to 1492. You can always set it back if this doesn't help, but it's easy enough to try.

Apr 12, 2014 8:57 PM in response to jaclight

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Apr 13, 2014 5:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc - thanks. I didn't have the issue is Safe Mode and seem to not have the issue now. Everything loaded fine during safe mode and now in regular mode. If that was a test, why would it be fixed?

Unforunately it may just be what always happens - intermittent successes in loading webpages for a few minutes or hours and then go back to not working.

Possible DNS Issue on 2009 Macbook Pro running Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.