Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging Problem: USB taking up power?

So I'm trying to charge my Ipod 5th gen from my macbook. When I plug the usb part in it comes up with ' USB was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled' and then under that- To prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. Other devices may have also been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other USB devices will be enabled again.

I have nothing else in the usb holes, and my mac is plugged in, there's heaps of charge, so I don't understand. The onlt thing is, my charger is slightly damaged on the lightening end. Also, It doesnt matter whether the ipod is connected to the charger or not, the same message comes up.

PLEASE HELP!! Its killing me, im not sure if I should just buy a new charger, but then its a waste of 30 dollars if the charger isnt the problem. 🙂 Thank you soooo much if you reply!

iPod touch

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 7:34 PM

1 reply

Apr 12, 2014 7:49 PM in response to RayIsNotNormal

Hey Ray, 'DON'T PANIC!' Slightly damaged is like being sightly pregnant. (You are or you are not!). Don't use this cable with the slight damage, most likely it's shorting out causing the power over load. The lighting cables have a history of failure. If you are within 1 year of date of purchase and Apple find that the damage is do to a defect and not abuse, Apple will replace the cable for free. Try a different cable, your charger is most likely fine. Hope this helps, Cheers.

Charging Problem: USB taking up power?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.