Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMaGes…onto iproducer

Okay the cover art has to be 1400 pixels and the other images have to be certain sizes and etc.

I know that the files I have are jpg files...I believe that those are acceptable. But I am trully unsure

what the pixels are..?? All of the images I am using are drawings and art for a children's picture book,

and I enlisted the aid of a digital camera to get them onto my mac, since my scanner no longer works.

I then enhanced said images with Abode Photoshop Elements Editor, to make the images sharper and etc.

The book on the ibooks author looks great and the iproducer accepted the pictures in the intial set-up and details phase.

Is that good or bad? and will it be rejected in the upload phase?

I am about as compute illiterate as you can imagine.

If I am able to discover what the pixels are for the images in question, is it possible to change the pixels using my mac and the program mentioned above?

Also wondering an off of the wall question...I noticed that on the ibooks author that there publish option on it. Can I publish straight from ibooks author and if so, is there a need for iproducer? Or are they both necessary? I have seen some videos on youtube that seem to publish straight from ibooks author?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Aaron

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 11:16 PM

Pixel is a single "image" and part of a bigger image. Think about a jig saw puzzle each single piece is fairly meaningless until it is added to the whole puzzle. Rather than inches or millimetres, digital photography decided to use pixels per inch or PPI.

Maximum size image allowed for use in iBooksAuthor is 2048 x 1496 pixels. This is basically x2 the full page width and height and preferred for use with Retina iPads.

Publishing your book.

Yes you can use "publish" in iBooks Author to start the delivery process, but you must have iTunes Producer installed on your mac. iBooks Author opens iTunesProducer to gather the various images etc that go with your book

Before you start the delivery, create up to 5 screen shots - size 2048 x 1496 and your cover image 1400 x1830.

You need to have your finished book and a sample version, not less than 16 pages or you can allow iTunesProducer to select a chapter or you can specify which chapter.

When you have everything ready....and I suggest if you have not already.... its better to have everything in one folder.

iTunesProducer will create a. .itmsp file it used to be the book name, but now it seems to be a. numerical sequence.Do Not Lose this or delete it...you will need it if you update your book later.

If you do not know much about images and pixels... I suggest you open your images with the iMacs "Preview it allows you to edit the pixel size.

IF you have created your book and did not make sure your images were within the allowed sizes, then you may have a big problem. It will not pass the review until everything is correct.

You can use the Inspector in iBA, open the rule icon and you can see the image size as it is seen on the page and there is an option to view the original size.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2014 11:16 PM in response to Xorlac

Pixel is a single "image" and part of a bigger image. Think about a jig saw puzzle each single piece is fairly meaningless until it is added to the whole puzzle. Rather than inches or millimetres, digital photography decided to use pixels per inch or PPI.

Maximum size image allowed for use in iBooksAuthor is 2048 x 1496 pixels. This is basically x2 the full page width and height and preferred for use with Retina iPads.

Publishing your book.

Yes you can use "publish" in iBooks Author to start the delivery process, but you must have iTunes Producer installed on your mac. iBooks Author opens iTunesProducer to gather the various images etc that go with your book

Before you start the delivery, create up to 5 screen shots - size 2048 x 1496 and your cover image 1400 x1830.

You need to have your finished book and a sample version, not less than 16 pages or you can allow iTunesProducer to select a chapter or you can specify which chapter.

When you have everything ready....and I suggest if you have not already.... its better to have everything in one folder.

iTunesProducer will create a. .itmsp file it used to be the book name, but now it seems to be a. numerical sequence.Do Not Lose this or delete it...you will need it if you update your book later.

If you do not know much about images and pixels... I suggest you open your images with the iMacs "Preview it allows you to edit the pixel size.

IF you have created your book and did not make sure your images were within the allowed sizes, then you may have a big problem. It will not pass the review until everything is correct.

You can use the Inspector in iBA, open the rule icon and you can see the image size as it is seen on the page and there is an option to view the original size.

Apr 13, 2014 1:10 PM in response to vinnyvg

I have been looking at the pixel size and have learned how to change it...

when changing the size of the image in either the mac preview or with the adobe photoshop editor

they both give me similar meaurements...like percentage, inches, cm, mm and etc. I am not sure if any of those

measurements matter as long as I select pixel.

however, I also notice that there is a pixel resolution that seems unaffected regardless of the size. What is the difference in pixel width and height...compared with the resolution and is changing the resolution number important?

And now since I am aware of this now, in the ibooks author what should the sizes be for the images I decide to use in my book. I know you said no larger than 2048 x 1496...but is there a smallest number you would recommend or a general size to stay within. I do not recall seeing such sugestions about pixel size for ibooks author. But then again maybe it is there and I just did not know enough to look for it.

Thank you for your time and efforts in answering my questions. I may have more to follow, if that is alright. I dread to resize all of the pixels in the pictures I have used in my book on ibooks author, but it is something that must be done.

Aaron.

Apr 16, 2014 12:20 AM in response to Xorlac

I should probably explained this before... but did not want to add any more confusion.

In Photoshop or Photoshop Elements Elements - you can resize the image by adjusting either the pixel or cm sizes using a preset resolotion ie set the resolution @72 and size at 1024 x 768 the file size will show around 2meg.

Set the resolution first and alter the pixel sizes - you can save your edited image by changing the file name giving the reduced size image while keeping your original.

If you now increase the resolution to 300 - the pixel sizes will increase to around 4500 or so and the file size will be about 30meg!

So if you use Photoshop, resize the images for use on iBA pages to ( example) 2048 x 768 set resolution to 72

The images size you use can be what ever size you want to display it - all you need to do is not exceed the maximum file size of 3.2million pixels which is around 2048 x 768.
The asset Guide suggests a resolution of 85.

So a 2048 x 1536 original dropped on your page and can be reduced to 1024 x 768 or 768 x 384 or 384 x 192 etc,.

To explain resolution - you can have an image of 2000 x 1000@72 DPI/PPI and will print a sharp image about
8 inches x 10 inches, now increase the resolution to 600 DPI/PPI and you can print a wall poster about 48 inches wide! ( for the photoshoppers - these figures are not factual.. just example)

Old iPad 1 and 2 have an image requirememnt of 1024 x 768 @85dpi - for retina screens the image needs to be sharper, so in effect we can leave the reolution at 85dpi and increase the dimentions x 2 = 2048 x 1536 which you then pull to fit the screen size if you are using full page display.

It sounds really complicated .. but it actaully easy to do than write a description!

iMaGes…onto iproducer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.