Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPhone still wipe? Not showing on Find My iPhone

Recently lost my iphone 5 on iOS 7.0.4.

Find my iPhone was activated on it as I could see the device on my iCloud.

The problem is that I can't actually see the location of it. It just shows the device OFFLINE. I had two other apple products that are showing the device and a green dot for their location but I don't even see my iPhone anywhere; there's not even a grey dot for it.

Anyways, just trying to find the simple answer to my question.

I have decided to erase data on my phone using Find my iPhone but will it actually go through since I don't even see a location for it? I know it mentions that all actions will be taken when the iPhone connects to the internet but will it actually go through, considering that it cannot even find the location for my phone in the first place?

I thought it would at least show the last location I was at before it got lost but apparently not... I don't know if it's some sort of bug but after searching around a little bit, it seems like there can be a bug about Find my iPhone--the switch on the iPhone is enabled, but it doesn't actually go through.

Forgot to mention that I realized I lost the phone approximately 4 hours before I tried looking on Find my iPhone so it should have still shown the last location.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 6:46 AM

The wipe will go through when the phone is next turnned on. I only have personal experience as an example as I helped my brother in law wipe his phone after it was stolen. It took 3 months for the wipe to go through. After that, a few weeks later he got a call from someone asking for the AppleID in order to activate the phone. My BIL informed the "new owner" that the phone was stolen; the owner told him he had bought it unsuspectingly (!!!).

In any case the new owner knew he was never going to be able to unlock/activate the phone and decided to return it. He got a small monetary "reward" for "finding" the phone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2014 6:46 AM in response to uhohcherrio

The wipe will go through when the phone is next turnned on. I only have personal experience as an example as I helped my brother in law wipe his phone after it was stolen. It took 3 months for the wipe to go through. After that, a few weeks later he got a call from someone asking for the AppleID in order to activate the phone. My BIL informed the "new owner" that the phone was stolen; the owner told him he had bought it unsuspectingly (!!!).

In any case the new owner knew he was never going to be able to unlock/activate the phone and decided to return it. He got a small monetary "reward" for "finding" the phone.

Apr 13, 2014 7:41 AM in response to FelipeV

As much as I appreciate the time you given to at least look at my thread and respond, it really doesn't absweer my question about the location problem of my iPhone. Since it doesn't even show its past locations, will it still go through?

As I mentioned earlier, it only list my device but there isn't a dot for it at all--no green dot OR even a grey one.

Will iPhone still wipe? Not showing on Find My iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.